Martian Canyon WIP

Started by nvseal, August 09, 2008, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Here is a color WIP render of the canyon scene I am working on. Everything is procedural, including the canyon. The lighting is made using a techique that moodflow created and was kind enough to share with me. I did do some postwork with the contrast, curves, slight color correction, and sharpness. C&C welcome.

Click the image for the 2000 * 1000 full version.

rcallicotte

Great lighting.  Cool texturing.  Excellent point of view.

I have been trying moodflow's setup, but still working on it.  This is very good work here, unlike what I've figured out so far.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Wow - I love it. You have to see the full size version! The thumb is misleading in the sense, that it doesn't give a hint on the great details and stunning formations in this image. Excellent!

Regards,
Frank

moodflow

Incredible image.  I like how the GI technique subtly lights up the darker areas, and bring out tons of detail.  Its very similar to how a bright overcast day works.  Everything is lit up from almost all sides.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Oshyan

I like this lighting technique, but I think it always has the danger of looking flat, and in this case it is a bit too flat IMO (though fairly realistic at least). I'd suggest a tad more direct light if possible. Otherwise it's looking great.

- Oshyan

nvseal

I agree that it is indeed a bit flat. It is possible fix to this and I have made two other renders of this scene which it is fixed at least to some degree (I may post an example here tomorrow). However, I have another render going at the moment which shows a much more pronounced effect of combining the GI lighting with a sun (or in this case, a light source, pretty much getting the best of both worlds). If it comes out as well as I hope, I am very much looking forward to posting the completed render in about two days or so when it is finished.  :)