Real Clouds

Started by rcallicotte, August 12, 2008, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

The 2nd and 4th link are broken, can you fix these?

The first picture has indeed impressive formations. There must be a way to do this almost exactly :)

Martin

rcallicotte

Martin - Glad you posted.  I can get the second and fourth fine...wonder why you can't.  You need to see the second one, for sure.   :o  It's what I've been seeing around here in the last few weeks and I want to reproduce these.  I've been trying for weeks.   ;D

Tangled-Universe

This is the message I get, as well as home as at work:

Not Found
The requested URL /_xFN0MWk4km8/Rq984qBq--I/AAAAAAAAAAs/9MAwxjvdoKo/Thunderhead.JPG was not found on this server.

PG

Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on August 13, 2008, 02:25:04 PM
Martin, try copying this http://lh4.google.com/_xFN0MWk4km8/Rq984qBq--I/AAAAAAAAAAs/9MAwxjvdoKo/Thunderhead.JPG

http://lh4.google.com/_gw3wT0DS-N0/Rl8HUHjMVGI/AAAAAAAAACc/27YrFDp7oIA/ET012.JPG

Somehow that worked, didn't open but I got the option to save them manually, thanks!

Indeed impressive formations. Already knew the first one of these two (the second from the original post).
I'm pretty sure it can be done in TG. Just takes a lot of tweaking and testing.
Luc made a very nice image some time ago with pretty similar structures to these.

Martin

PG

Indeed, I don't think they'd necessarily need functions though. Just tweaking of the scales a bit. a low smallest scale would be in order, something around 0.04 with a lead-in scale somewhere between 35k and 50k. In either Perlin Mix 2 or billows. Maybe using the redirect trick that....um.. someone recently posted about. And some noise variation, in particular the bouyancy and clumping of variation. Those last two are probably the most important settings actually.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on August 13, 2008, 03:46:20 PM
Indeed, I don't think they'd necessarily need functions though. Just tweaking of the scales a bit. a low smallest scale would be in order, something around 0.04 with a lead-in scale somewhere between 35k and 50k. In either Perlin Mix 2 or billows. Maybe using the redirect trick that....um.. someone recently posted about. And some noise variation, in particular the bouyancy and clumping of variation. Those last two are probably the most important settings actually.

Mohawk you mean...he posted a redirect-shader technique (though I am not really convinced).

Why do you think you'll need such a low small scale of 0.04?? I think this will only make your cloud very noizy. It will probably also render quit slow because of the high amount of octaves consequently.

Martin

PG

possibly. I changed them first and moved straight onto the noise settings before checking the result so a higher small scale would probably work as well. The renders are quite noisy now you mention it. ::) ;D

rcallicotte

If you check out what people have said who said what he probably did to his image, you'll find it wasn't all done in TG.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on August 13, 2008, 02:48:33 PM
Luc made a very nice image some time ago with pretty similar structures to these.

Martin

Tangled-Universe

I'd like to encourage everybody to jump into this matter and see if we're together able to make something close to these references...

Therefore, and also because I'm in a good mood lately ;D, I've posted the .tgd of my latest cloud image:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3691.msg48625#msg48625

Enjoy and good luck!

Martin

rcallicotte

Thanks Martin.  This is a good idea.  I'll post my work when I can.

fmtoffolo

Quote from: calico on August 14, 2008, 07:40:56 AM
If you check out what people have said who said what he probably did to his image, you'll find it wasn't all done in TG.

what?
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

PG

postwork man, postwork. Heavy :o

old_blaggard

Really?  I haven't heard anything about this.  I'm sure that he uses some levels/brightness/contrast/etc. in his images, but I've always been under the impression that he's a purist, so to speak.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.