vue - Spectral Atmospheres 2

Started by reck, August 13, 2008, 01:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

Xpleet

Quote from: calico on September 06, 2008, 11:59:59 AM
Vue's clouds look real, but the internal lighting isn't the same as TG2's.  Nevertheless, a huge chasm appears between what we know about using that internal lighting and how it actually works.  Maybe Vue's approach of 'simple is better' is the better approach. 

If we get more feedback about clouds and their settings in TG2's forum, then maybe the jury won't be out so long.

I agree, there's something about the Vue clouds that makes them superior(i think it's a sort of natural edge softness), but until now the shape was really insufficient :P. From what I've seen and heard fluffy Terragen clouds can take a lot of time to render.

Sometimes when I look in the sky I go like "Oh, Vue clouds today!" but never do those floaters remind me of TG2 clouds :(

I'm gonna make some tests with my clouds soon, lighting them up with point-lights to give the effect of smoke and explosion :-D

Seth

moodflow

I have to agree with Seth here.  I owned Vue 6 for a while but ended up selling it since it couldn't compete with TG2 when it came to macro scene setup and lighting/clouds. 

Vue definitely has its place and excels in "stage" style setup of scenes where you place items exactly where you want.  Alot of people prefer the method of creation.  And at this time, I think Vue's foliage is the best of any app at this time, though TG2 is catching up quickly.

For me, TG2 wins on overall features and usability.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

sjefen

Hahaha. This is getting really funny.
I think we should start a thread: Vue Clouds vs. Terragen Clouds.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

cyphyr

Quote from: moodflow on September 06, 2008, 05:06:02 PM
...And at this time, I think Vue's foliage is the best of any app at this time, though TG2 is catching up quickly....

Remember Terragens foliage is not really anything to do with Terragen itself, its only imported models after all. Its only since Terragen 2 has been out that it has been practical to make high detail models of trees and other growing thangs to be rendered in VAST numbers. I predict huge advances in the models that will be available to render within Terragen in the coming months/years.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

I can't say I'm sold.  I've been completely dedicating myself to understanding TG2 clouds for 2 months and I think we either need clearer documentation (ETC.) from Planetside about the clouds or there is something seriously lacking in the way things work. 

Vue clouds on the other hand are maybe less "realistic" than TG2, but I'm not sure people in the movie theatre care.  That's all this software is mostly good for - media reproduction.  But, I don't know Vue...just going by what I see.

In other words, TG2 needs better documentation or something needs to be changed so making clouds is more understandable for the average technical person in the interface.  Right now, it isn't there and takes much more time to figure out than it should.  Also, the render times with these clouds are monsters.

Not complaining.  I own TG2 and don't own (nor plan to own) Vue...right now.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JimB

Quote from: calico on September 07, 2008, 03:54:26 PM
Vue clouds on the other hand are maybe less "realistic" than TG2, but I'm not sure people in the movie theatre care.
It's the Directors, Producers and VFX Supervisors (including the Studio VFX heads) who matter, not the audience  ;) If the first four don't like it (depending on the contracts), it gets changed or redone.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/about/event/NewsSiggraph2008.php

When I see the following alongside what's coming, I wonder what difference it makes whether I can see the .1 fractals in a TG2 masterpiece.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/competition/2008/images/20831.jpg (Vue 6)
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/competition/2008/images/20692.jpg (Vue 6)

[edit - above links fixed]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

the third video on your first link (the only one that works on my computer) is amazing !!!
the render is truely good from what i can see...
the way objects are placed, modified... that's a point TG2 must improve !
i love the way we can see the sun moving... the wind in the trees...
i am sure TG2 can be as good perhaps even better but, the render time and the objects placement makes it more difficult... and if you want to do animation with our render time... it's almost impossible...
anyway, i think it is very good that VUE7 is coming out, maybe it will bring some new ideas to the developpers...

sjefen

Quote from: seth93 on September 09, 2008, 01:46:47 PM
the third video on your first link (the only one that works on my computer) is amazing !!!
the render is truely good from what i can see...
the way objects are placed, modified... that's a point TG2 must improve !
i love the way we can see the sun moving... the wind in the trees...
i am sure TG2 can be as good perhaps even better but, the render time and the objects placement makes it more difficult... and if you want to do animation with our render time... it's almost impossible...
anyway, i think it is very good that VUE7 is coming out, maybe it will bring some new ideas to the developpers...

What you saw in that third movie is 3ds max and not Vue.
Vue xStream is like Vue and also a plugin for some of the other big 3d softwares. It makes it possible to use some of the functions from Vue inside your favorite 3d software (3ds max in this case). It looks like the only Vue thing in that movie was the trees. The render is also mental ray.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Seth

ooooh ok <blush>
daaamn need to learn 3Ds Max too !!! ;D

sjefen

I know 3ds max pretty well. I went to school so I could learn it.
I always wanted it, but the price tag is just ridiculous. Especially here in Europe.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Xpleet

Quote from: seth93 on September 09, 2008, 04:49:36 PM
ooooh ok <blush>

It was not purely 3DsMax, totally wrong.

Sunset, tree wind etc. are all Vue features and probably most Siggraph content is the promo-work of an experienced e-onartist work but which could be done in Vue6 as easy. 80% you see is Vue6 and even Vue5. Xstream works in a way that Vue objects are rendered by Vue's engine and Max objects by Max' engine.

DON'T GET HYPED!

Many ppl underestimate Vue6 (especially by what they see on renderosity pics) and Vue7 is but an addition of handy features to Vue6. I'd say it's actually more advanced than TG2.

Spectral Atmospheres 2 is having an additional sharpness slider and feathering slider for the clouds, not much additional info and that makes me really wonder wether they actually have added much more than that to V7-Infinite.

sjefen

Quote from: Xpleet on September 09, 2008, 05:04:40 PM
Quote from: seth93 on September 09, 2008, 04:49:36 PM
ooooh ok <blush>

It was not purely 3DsMax, totally wrong.

Sunset, tree wind etc. are all Vue features and probably most Siggraph content is the promo-work of an experienced e-onartist work but which could be done in Vue6 as easy. 80% you see is Vue6 and even Vue5. Xstream works in a way that Vue objects are rendered by Vue's engine and Max objects by Max' engine.

DON'T GET HYPED!

Many ppl underestimate Vue6 (especially by what they see on renderosity pics) and Vue7 is but an addition of handy features to Vue6. I'd say it's actually more advanced than TG2.

Spectral Atmospheres 2 is having an additional sharpness slider and feathering slider for the clouds, not much additional info and that makes me really wonder wether they actually have added much more than that to V7-Infinite.

I did not say it was purely 3ds max. I said 3ds max with some of the Vue features. I can see he hits something at the top of 3ds max that says Vue something then he add some trees.
The sunset is not Vue at all. It is the Mental Ray Sun & Sky system.
Also... when it renders, it looks like Mental Ray is taking care of everything, but that I don't know for sure. It renders a little funny with the last render. I'm just a little curious tho. How does Mental Ray know how to put the light and shadows from the trees if it is Vue rendering them?

To me it looks like the only Vue thing in that video is the trees and the wind in them, the background terrain and maybe Vue is rendering the trees.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB