Two Very Simple Feature Requests

Started by cyphyr, August 14, 2008, 12:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

I know we're nearing the end of the dev cycle but I got two real simple feature requests (well I think they would be simple but I'm no programmer ;) )

Firstly can we please set our own terragen temporary files path :) Its great that every render gets saved but it would be nice if I could just stick it anywhere I liked out of the way and also somewhere where I wouldn't loose everything if I have to re-install Vista, XP etc.

Secondly can we have a compass please. I'm constantly trying to do mental math working out where the sun is relative to my camera and a compas built into the nav module would be so sweet. :)

Thanks

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

moodflow

I second the compass... great idea, as I am constantly getting lost in my own maps!  (not joking!)  ;D

Also, another feature that would be super useful would be an estimated render time (that updates at certain intervals).  That would likely be hard to implement, even semi-accurately.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

lightning

yeah a compass would be good also a request from me would be a view last render option becuase sometimes i save my picture in the wrong format instead of saving in an exr i save in a bmp instead
so it would be good if i accidentally save in the wrong format just pop up the last render then resave it in a different format
i don't know if you can do this already?

moodflow

Quote from: lightning on August 14, 2008, 04:30:56 PM
yeah a compass would be good also a request from me would be a view last render option becuase sometimes i save my picture in the wrong format instead of saving in an exr i save in a bmp instead
so it would be good if i accidentally save in the wrong format just pop up the last render then resave it in a different format

Yes, that ^ too!!!  I hate when I close out my last render screen by accident.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

cyphyr

It would be great if we could not only choose the temp folder location but also the default temp output file format (.jpg, .bmp, .tif, .exr), oh and while I think of it, given the small file sizes involved could we not also be auto-saving the current tgd in the same folder as the terragen temp files? :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Mohawk20

Sooo much good ideas here!!

Matt! READ THIS!!!
Howgh!

reck

Ah view last render would be a great idea. How much time do we spend in TG just altering a certain parameter to see how it alters the scene. If we could view the previous render we could switch between the current and previous render to see how the change affected the scene.

Moose

Quote from: reck on August 14, 2008, 05:28:34 PM

Ah view last render would be a great idea. How much time do we spend in TG just altering a certain parameter to see how it alters the scene. If we could view the previous render we could switch between the current and previous render to see how the change affected the scene.

Not to take any weight away from this valid RFE (actually, it should be extended to further include more than just the last render and I remember reading that PS will implement something like this eventually), but until such time, a good stopgap workflow I use is to load up the Temp folder renders into Houdini's Mplay which allows for comparisons between prev/next/specific frames by adjustable mix/horizontal/vertical splits.

There might be other frame viewers out there too, but I mention Mplay as it's free for non-commercial use - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=89&Itemid=277

:)

cyphyr

Good idea there and I'll give it a go. Its just that for some reason my Terragen Temp folder is only accessible through terragens "File>Explore temporary files" feature. If I could change the permissions on the folder or idealy have it in a differant location that would be great.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Moose

Quote from: cyphyr on August 15, 2008, 09:56:30 AM
Good idea there and I'll give it a go. Its just that for some reason my Terragen Temp folder is only accessible through terragens "File>Explore temporary files" feature. If I could change the permissions on the folder or idealy have it in a differant location that would be great.
Richard

On Vista, go to Start and type %TEMP% (I cant remember what the options are on XP - is it run cmd, of Command Prompt or something like that).
From there you can make a shortcut to the Planetside folder.

Oshyan

The first two ideas are not bad and may not be too difficult to implement. I don't know whether there's time to tackle them before release as we're nearing beta and are in internal feature freeze, but certainly in the future they could be implemented.

The render time estimating feature is significantly more difficult and unlikely to be added any time soon.

- Oshyan