good clouds from above and below

Started by FrankB, August 14, 2008, 01:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Found a nice setup to create nice cumulus clouds that both look good from above and from below. The first image a only 0.5 quality, the second 0.7, sorry for that:

[attachimg=#]
[attachimg=#]

timtierney

Love both renders.  I think the bottom one is better.  You can really get a sense of depth from under the clouds.

rcallicotte

Groovy.  These clouds would go well with nvseal's planet tutorial...wouldn't they?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

... took the latter and squeezed it into a prarie-style ad-hoc scene. Nothing special, but I'm trying to see if the sky lighting still works with a terrain and vegetation.
This is using Lighting's highland grass (thanks!), which is nice but takes forever to render.
The whole thing rendered for 5 hrs at 0.8 quality, at AA6 and soft shadows.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

Excellent!  What is the tree?  I love these clouds and atmosphere.  Brilliant.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Cool clouds Frank :)
The terrain and surfacing isn't really to your standard, but that's not the point of interest in this image.

Quote from: calico on August 17, 2008, 02:02:41 PM
Excellent!  What is the tree?  I love these clouds and atmosphere.  Brilliant.

If I'm not mistaking this is a cracked willow from Xfrog.
I also used it in my Brand New Day image.

Martin

p.s. whoohoo...post #1000 ;D

FrankB

Yes, it's the cracked willow - one of the best trees in the collection.

Indeed, the surfacing is sub standard, although it was interesting to do: meaning I learned something about masking while making it. Maybe I can re-use that knowlede in a future image, in which I will invest more time than this. I haven't had the patience in this one, as it took so long to figure out the clouds, that virtually no patience was left or the terrain :-D

Cheers,
Frank