linking procedural grass clip file elements to fake rock surface

Started by arisdemos, August 15, 2008, 11:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arisdemos

I have a question about linking clip files in order to achieving a mixed terrain surface of rock/soil and a procedural grass clip created from a grass tgd by dhaval. Initially I hooked the final surface layer of the grass into the input of a PF leading into the next to final surface layer of a series of 3 fake rock shaders. This first attempt rendered out with the grass covering most of the terrain, but then my troubles began as soon as I attempted to distribute the grass via the surface lay of that procedural entity. TG2 began to not allow this entire file to last much beyond loading, and I could not get the first success of covering everything on the terrain with grass to repeat. How does one get the procedural grass clip  section hooked into the fake rock sequence without ending the TG2 session?

cyphyr

I think the best way forward here is to link the procedural grass clip in via the child node of a surface layer. the surface layer can be the same as your rock layer or alternatively a new surface layer with the same parameters dialed in. You can sometimes run into problems with micro displacements of the grass causing rendering errors particularly in the sky (oddly). A simple distance shader used as a blend shader should solve this should it occour.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

arisdemos

Thanks Richard
I will give it a try, and report the results. The only thing that really threw me was how the file worked and then didn't.
arisdemos

arisdemos

I have tried the suggested method of linking the procedural grass clip elements via a child node to the fake rock structure through both another surface layer and/or the existing surface layers of the rock clip, but despite an all day effort still no success.  I have now switched to connecting via the surface layer/child layers node technique the fake rock shader clip elements into the prodedural grass with some limited progress, but the fake rock structure ends up pletty well unrecognizable even when limiting the fake grass to fairly level ground and altitude restricted boundaries.

In searching this forum I came across a Big Ben thread input about using a mask of the fake stone layer to achieve a resulting mixture of stones and object grass successfully, and if I could get my first link that seemed to work to repeat then I possibly could use Ben's masking method to integrate these structure elements. Any ideas concerning just why? this connection of the clip file nodes first succeded and then later the adjustment of slope and altitude parameters in the grass surface layer settings caused TG2TP5free 19991 to go tits up and fail.

Oshyan

If you can post a .tgd example of your problem or at least a screenshot of your node network that would be helpful in troubleshooting your problem.

- Oshyan

arisdemos

Thanks for your reply Oshyan, I have included a screen grab of the node network of the stone and grass clips I attempted to connect together. when creating a PF to connect them is when the tg failure occurred, and after using various combinations of surface layers I also had no luck with integrating the procedural stones and grass. Maybe you can see where I went wrong with this node structure.