Area Centre text file

Started by Marcos Silveira, August 16, 2008, 11:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos Silveira

Does Anyone here know how to create a text file to be imported for the "area centre" inputs in the object distribution tab???
[attach=#]

What I mean is, what is the exact format of the parameters in the text file???
Ex: x=1.0; y=1.0; z=1.0 or  1.0, 1.0, 1.0  or  1;1;1

How do I set the parameters for the x, y and z coordinates in the text file???
What is the format of the text file?? Is It a txt file as used in the wordpad??

rcallicotte

Good question.  Sorry I don't know the answer.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

If you open saved terragen file(where you have an imported population) in notepad you will be able to see the way terragen displays its coordinates. I'm using my partners lappy atm so I cant confirm specifics but terragen uses real world dimensions 1 terragen unit to 1m. I'm intregued as to why you should wish to use this method, is'nt it just easier to type in the area centre location?
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

jo

Hi,

You need to have a text file something which looks like this:

1 1000 2000 3000
2 2000 3000 4000

Basically it's 4 numbers with spaces in between. The first number is the frame number, the next 3 are the x, y and z coordinates respectively. Each line above gives the coordinates for a different frame. You can have floating point/real numbers like so:

1 1000.5 2000 3000.0

Save the file with a .chan extension. You can use WordPad to create the file, but be sure to use the "Text Document" format/type when you save it.

Regards,

Jo

Marcos Silveira

Thanx Jo, you saved me a lot of work!!! ;)

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: cyphyr on August 17, 2008, 06:20:32 AM
If you open saved terragen file(where you have an imported population) in notepad you will be able to see the way terragen displays its coordinates. I'm using my partners lappy atm so I cant confirm specifics but terragen uses real world dimensions 1 terragen unit to 1m. I'm intregued as to why you should wish to use this method, is'nt it just easier to type in the area centre location?
Good luck
Richard

Cause it's for populations, it saves work when you don't need to type (or ctrl +c, ctrl+v) the same area centre for lots of populations. I always try different types of trees and plants in my projects and I assure you, it's very boring when you have to do "it" every time. With a file with such coordinates the work turns easy.