Mountain Lake Storm Arriving (Final)

Started by RArcher, August 23, 2008, 01:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Mountains, Lake, forest, etc. etc.

Normally I would end up using some DEM data for a scene like this, but this time I decided to create the landscape procedurally.  I think it turned out pretty nice.  There are probably a few things I would change if I was to do it again, but it took 60 hours to render so that isn't too likely.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Grasses from Lightning and Klas, Trees are from Jcinbama.

Edit:  Final Image can be found here:

http://www.archer-designs.com/galleries/art-galleries/tg2/fullsize/mountain-lake-storm-arriving-v7.jpg

nvseal

That's pretty impressive. The far bank is completely amazing! Could you post a link to the trees?

Seth

very good one !
i am not sure about the ground under the water, it looks odd on my screen but other than that, it is really impressive !

Hannes

Great picture, maybe a little bit too blurred.

cyphyr

Beautiful, nothing to crit, I've seen places in Scotland pretty indistinguishable from this :)
Maybe the prominent flowers could be a little smaller (less prominent) but thats just personal really. Very high AA I guess ?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Saurav

Excellent render,  especially the far bank where it looks the most realistic.

Tangled-Universe

Awesome work Ryan!

This image looks quite alike my "brand new day" image, regarding colorpalette (rocks and grasses), displacements (cracks, mountains etc.),texturing and rendertimes...lol :P
However, I think this image "breathes more atmosphere". Your postwork-techniques certainly add to this.

The cloud looks very good and I like the way how you handled the lighting under the cloud. Any special trick for that?

I don't have any crits regarding the upper 2/3 of the image. It all looks damn good ;D
The foreground could use little work. Like Richard said some of the flowers, especially in the left foreground for me, could be less prominent. This can sound a bit nutpicking, I don't intend to :) The other thing I would add/change is the underwater-surfacing. Maybe some nicely displaced boulders would be great!

Martin

rcallicotte

I like the view.  Nice foliage.  Seems like I've seen this one before...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

monks

VERY nice- just a wee too much blur for my taste.

monks

dandelO

Really nice! I love the paths(if they are paths, they certainly look like it) climbing out of the trees, nicely done.
I'd only darken the ground beneath the water and it'd be even better.
Pop some sheep in there too!  :D

Got to rush, I'm halfway up one of those walkways to beat the storm, if I get to the summit I'll stay dry, I imagine.

lightning

great picture it has lovely mood to it  :)
I am glad to see you have used some of the plants out of the ground cover pack ;)

the background looks really great those tree look amazing! i also like the texture work on the cliffs in the far background :)

the foreground needs abit more work the grass looks fine i think. I think what needs to be changed is the ground covers used. personally i would just stick with the dandelions and get rid of the buttercups and the poppies (keep the nettles though) and just downsize the dandelions a bit ( I think one model is slightly bigger than the other) and just decrease the object spacing so you can see more of them. i would also make the nettles a little more prominent but make sure both plant dont grow to near the water. also as a personal taste i would either edit klases grass or one of my grasses to make it resemble some dort of water grass and distribute it
round the areas i highlighted in red

or maybe use one of the bushes out of the bush pack v2 set and flatten the y value by half and change the leaf texture to an aquatic leaf and distribute under the water to replicate some sort of sea weed

well im looking forward for an update (if you make one ;D)
peace jak

FrankB

Very beautiful!!! That's the kind of art I enjoy most with TG2 :-)
The hints from the others here have been good, though... should you plan to make another version of it.

Thanks,
Frank

RArcher

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  There is a new version forthcoming sometime in the future.  Added some foreground rocks, added two more populations of different trees, underwater features and some shoreline cattails.  Removed the flowers for now, but they might come back before I am done if I can get them looking natural.

Martin:  Nothing special done with the cloud.  It is a different seed of the cloud-tail clip I posted in the clouds thread, probably just got lucky with the light and 3/3 GI never hurts either.  It certainly isn't shocking that that voronoi displacements look similar, considering it was you who showed me how to properly connect the nodes.  ;D  I've been messing about with various voronoi modifications in everything from water to clouds just to see what it does now that I know how it works.

RArcher

Low detail update render.  Still a bit more I am thinking of changing.  No postwork done on this yet.