DEM Question

Started by Cemoa, June 10, 2008, 01:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

wackymidget

Thanks everyone.

I have been playing around with both DEM and gregsandor's tutorial. What I'd like to do is combine both... I want fly over the earth and then close in on a specific area. So I'd like that area to be detailed and was thinking to use a DEM for that. However I find it hard to place a terrain at a specific location. The coordinate system confuses me and draging a piece of terrain around doesn't look as simple as I would expect.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

gregsandor

Set up your dem terrain at 0,0,0 and in its Terrain Shader center it (not corner).  When you learn how to use the coordinate system and tie that to real-world latitude and longitude you can then move the terrrain to its real-world center.

wackymidget

Thanks,

My next question is: how do I tie the real-world latitude and longitude to the coordinate system?

gregsandor

The simplest way to start is a fake method:  set up your planet with the Earth texture, and overlay a texture (make it bright red) the size of your dem terrain.  Eyeball it -- move that red texture around the planet until it is in the location of your area of interest.  Once you get it in the area you can compare the real lat long with the TG coordinates and find the coorelation.

wackymidget

Thanks,

I will try that when I get home :P