Of A Clockwork Orange

Started by dandelO, September 03, 2008, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Nothing to do with the movie, just an apt name.

Nothing special here either, a quickie. A simple eclipse and some sunrays over a basic terrain.

Thanks for looking! :)

[attachimg=#]

old_blaggard

Quote from: dandelO on September 03, 2008, 11:19:59 PM
Nothing to do with the movie, just an apt name.

Anything to do with the book? ;)

Nice image - the rays are quite interesting.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mahnmut

I like the light on the low clouds.
Where do the rays come from, structures on the moon? Or an indistinguishable high cloud layer?
Best Regards,
Jan

dandelO

Ahhh, I didn't realise it was a book.(I can read, you know. ;))

Cheers, OB, the rays are just cast from an invisible cloud layer.

dandelO

Quote from: Mahnmut on September 04, 2008, 05:47:31 AM
I like the light on the low clouds.
Where do the rays come from, structures on the moon? Or an indistinguishable high cloud layer?
Best Regards,
Jan

Jan: Create a new mid-level cloud layer and uncheck 'enable primary'
('Primary' = the clouds themselves. 'Secondary' = their effect on the planet/atmosphere. Their rays and shadows in other words).
Now set your renderer to a low .3 detail. Do a test render, if you don't like the rays from that, just hit 'random seed' on the density fractal. The invisible cloud's seed will generate a new pattern, new rays. Once you get a nice looking set of rays(keep doing little test renders until you have something to work with), adjust some other cloud/sun settings like, edge sharpness/scale/densities/whatever, to tweak the rays.
'Ray-traced shadows' doesn't need to be checked in either the clouds or the atmosphere so, it's still very quick.

dandelO

Bigger sky. Obviously!
Stars are just a single PF shader attatched to a default shader's luminosity function, in the background node.

[attachimg=#]

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

Cheers!

Here's another update, the last, I think. Played with the terrain a bit in CS2 and added a little lens-flare.

Thanks again! :)

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

This is much better.  Nice concept.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Thanks, Calico.

Oh, now it's called 'Of A Clockwork Orange'. I like my 'Of a etc. etc. etc....' titles, this is now one of them. ;)

Cyber-Angel

Question dandelO,

When you put the Default Shader in the Background Node and connect a Power Fractal to its Luminosity function how do you get individual stars instead of the rather noisy sky you get when you first set up the shaders in the fashion described?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

dandelO

As a matter of fact, I've just made a clip and .tgd to share my procedural nightsky method, not the same as the sky in this image but the stars are, in general idea, the same.

Check out this thread in the file sharing section: http://www.notuploadedyet-pleasewait.co.uk ;)