Fake Stones Geometrical Issues

Started by RArcher, September 11, 2008, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

I've recently gone back to the drawing board with regards to fake stones and  have been attempting to get some better results.  The problems I am having are rather frustrating since some stones look great, but others have poor looking fractal lines or other odd geometric issues.  Perhaps there is a setting I am missing to increase the number of faces similar to the rock object?

Does anyone have any ideas on minimizing or eliminating the instances of both poor rock shapes as well as ugly intersections with the ground?

Here is an example.  Some of the stones shapes and ground intersection look fairly natural, but others do not.

Seth

i don't know how you did these ones but i suggest you to stack another PF with a smaller scale on the surface shader of the fake stones or try with a merge shader (with 2 PF of the same scale or close)

bigben

For the ground intersection, perhaps start with a small vertical displacement so that your other displacements have another edge to work on?

Alfamike

Quote from: RArcher on September 11, 2008, 09:56:44 AM
I've recently gone back to the drawing board with regards to fake stones and  have been attempting to get some better results.  The problems I am having are rather frustrating since some stones look great, but others have poor looking fractal lines or other odd geometric issues.  Perhaps there is a setting I am missing to increase the number of faces similar to the rock object?

Does anyone have any ideas on minimizing or eliminating the instances of both poor rock shapes as well as ugly intersections with the ground?

Here is an example.  Some of the stones shapes and ground intersection look fairly natural, but others do not.

Hiya, have you managed to get around the problem yet? I have similar issues, some rocks look great, really great, while plenty others seem to have too few sides or have got "spines".

AM.

EDIT 20080929

(Included render examples.)

Please refer to image on the left. Still have not found what causes this "skirt" effect.

The effect in the right image is caused by merging using highest elevation. Here I'd have to walk around the terrain to find a view where this effect is minimal.

Does anybody know how to work around the "skirts" of the fake stones (left image)?

Would there be a way to avoid these merging artifacts (right), without setting up none-overlapping distributions for each fake stone shader?

Thanks.