Newbie`s question about Terragen

Started by amlan70, September 11, 2008, 06:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amlan70

Hi all,
                       I am trying to learn both Terragen & Vue.I am already familiar with Bryce. I have some quieries which I am sure some experts can give me some better idea.

a) Is Terragen & Vue stronger than Bryce in Environmental effects ? Thats what art works of artists like Grie told me. what do you say ?

b) In terragen website ( http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/ )  i saw they are offering to download Terragen 0.9.43 for windows and also Terragen 2 Technology preview. Is the inerphases of both are same ? Which one shd i download to start learning & which is the one for which max tutorials are made ?

Thanks a lot

Amlan

rcallicotte

a)  This group will be prejudiced to say, "TG2 all the way, sport!"

b)  Download the TG2 preview

Have fun.  Try the beginner's tutorial and then try a couple of simple tutorials of something like the terrain, fake stones or displacements.  Make some cool clouds.

Then, after you have learned some on your own, go to the File Library and download lots of goodies to play with.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

amlan70

Thanks but is the interphase of Terragen 2 and Terragen 0.9.43 is the same ...actually as i found out Terragen 0.9.43 has lot many tutorials .......will those work for Terragen 2 too ??

cyphyr

No the interface is very different between Terragen 2 and Terragen 0.9.43.

Terragen 0.9.43 is probably easier to learn and your right, there are many more tutorials available for Terragen 0.9.43.

The main differences between Terragen 2 and Terragen 0.9.43 are as follows:

Terragen 2 can render complete worlds, many of them in fact. It can also render height fields.
Terragen 0.9.43 can only render height fields (up to 4096 x 4096 I think)
Terragen 2 can import other objects and render them within the Terragen 2 world you create.
Terragen 2 can render true volumetric clouds
Terragen 2 uses a nodal interface
There are more tutorials and plug-ins available for Terragen 0.9.43. (Hopefully there will be more tutorials for Terragen 2 soon)

In short Terragen 2 can do everything that Terragen 0.9.43 can do and a whole lot more.

Download the Terragen 2 demo and take a look at the tutorials here.

Have fun

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PG

a) TG2 all the way, sport ;D
Although once the new version of Vue is released it'll be a lot closer.

b) the TG2 interface isn't too difficult if you stay away from the node network.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures