Water question for Oshyan - old Mt. St. Helen image

Started by LoneHiker, September 21, 2008, 04:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneHiker

Hi Oshyan,

I'd like to update the pre-TG2 ocean landscape I made for the free, open source planetarium project Stellarium. I always admired the look of the water in your Mt. St. Helen rendering:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2/oshyan_greene_st_helens_trees.jpg.html

However, I haven't had much success getting the water to look even remotely close in appearance to your work, which has nice wave and reflection patterns.

If it's not putting you on the spot, would you be kind enough to offer some advice or perhaps a world file, if that's possible?

Sincerely,

Michael

Oshyan

I'd be happy to help as much as I can. That image was actually made quite a while ago now, before there was even a water node or shader to use. So I used a basic reflective shader and a power fractal on ridged multi-perlin, if I recall. Approximately 3-6 meter wave scale (feature size). If I can find the .tgd I'd be glad to share, but it was made so long ago it will probably not render correctly anymore. I'll let you know if that works out...

Funny enough water is much more advanced now, especially with transparency, not to mention the "patchiness" settings (which are often a must on larger bodies of water). Nonetheless I've always had a fondness for this one too. And to think I'm still not satisfied with that St. Helens scene...

- Oshyan

LoneHiker

Quote from: Oshyan on September 22, 2008, 02:01:23 AM
So I used a basic reflective shader and a power fractal on ridged multi-perlin, if I recall. Approximately 3-6 meter wave scale (feature size).

Ridged *multi*-perlin? I see an option for Perlin ridges. What would the *multi* refer to?

If I can find the .tgd I'd be glad to share, but it was made so long ago it will probably not render correctly anymore. I'll let you know if that works out...

Even if it no longer works there should still be a lot of useful information in it. :)

Mike

Oshyan

Sorry, "Perlin Ridges" is the noise type. I think I had World Machine on the brain or something. ;)

- Oshyan