Mt Hood WIP

Started by darthvader, September 22, 2008, 12:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

Something I made for a friend, the trees are the standard fir tree and Lightning's common spruce. It may be on the dark side fro those who have darker monitor settings. Tell me what you think ;D

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

The mountain looks real.

The trees maybe need more translucence.  Or maybe you need to up your Soft Clip Effect (to 2 maybe) and / or your AA to 10 or higher.

[edit - oh, yeah, and I like your clouds very much]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Renegade26

MacGyver

Reminds me of Mount Fuji! ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

darthvader

the AA is actually at 12 in this image so that shouldn't be the problem. what exactly does increasing the Soft Clip Effect do?

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

A striking image. To brighten the trees, perhaps a fill light would yield more details. What size did you render?

darthvader

there actually is a fill light already, it is a .3 strength which is usuallu enough to bring out more detail. Also the image was rendered at 1200 x 400 pixels at .8 quality with 12 AA

Confusoid

Could you add some displacement to the tree trunks? Only a little would do. Also the ground could use more color variation to represent loose dirt and small rocks. Other that that this looks very good.    :)

darthvader

I'll put off the trunk displacement for later...i'm not that good working with models. in the next one i'm adding some bushes and ground cover to break up the monotony of the ground

Cyber-Angel

I happen to like the dark trees as the give weight and stability to the image, and give focus to the mountain. Without the dark trees the viewers attention would shift to the foreground which while interesting in of its self, is not IMHO the main focal point of the image.

If any one here is familiar with the photographic work of August Sander, by way of example, you will see that the side of his photographs he wanted least dominant are darker then that side which the viewer should be focused; this then is part of classical art theory and is easy to understand!

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel               

darthvader