Strange behaving of trees in animation

Started by pagan, September 26, 2008, 04:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Is the flickering exposure, or is it still a problem with objects having parts appearing/disappearing?  If it's "exposure" then this is a GI issue. The calculation of GI will change from frame to frame. Increasing the GI blur radius should alleviate this although I haven't tested the effect that this setting has on renders yet.

You don't have to use a distance shader although restricting the population to just those objects influencing the rendered image will help reduce the amount of RAM used to render the image. From earlier tests though this won't save any time in the populating process as this takes the same amount of time even if no objects are created (also not tested in the current version)... and yes you plug it into the density shader of the population.

I have a thought for a simpler "through the lens" mask to include some padding around the frame for objects protruding (or casting shadows) into the frame. I'll post that later. Running a small render test at the moment.

pagan

Ok I think I found the major problem, there must be something wrong within my ojects.
Basically they randomly switch themself on and off, the only way to reduce this is to have a very high objet spacing, I put 40.
Don't know if anyone else has created animations with lots of vegetation before but in case you did let me know if you had the same problem
Cheers to all for now

bigben

I've never seen that happen.  Many people (myself included) re-export their objects through Poseray.  The obj output from this porgram fixes many problems with objects.

Oshyan

I've run quite a lot of animations with millions of trees and tight object spacing. Where did the tree objects you're using come from? You might want to try Ben's suggestion of exporting through PoseRay as it can fix a lot of object-related issues.

For general settings to get flicker-free trees, I would use main detail of at least 0.7 (I have made good-looking flicker-free animations at this level), population quality at High or Very High. Other detail settings should matter much less, at least for flicker issues and population quality specifically (e.g. you don't need to be as concerned about atmosphere quality, etc.). As Ben mentioned there is also GI flickering which can occur. Raising the GI Blur Radius to 100-300 should solve this.

You should also make sure there are no alpha problems or other issues with your models. The population system itself works very well and will give good results, provided the source models are setup well for TG2.

- Oshyan

pagan

Yes if it is so there is certainy somthing wrong with my trees.
I will try your sggestions...
Thanks to all... I will let you know...