Strange behaving of trees in animation

Started by pagan, September 26, 2008, 04:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagan

Hi
I am trying to render a small animation with trees as population.
Does anyone knows why the trees move about?
They actually stay in place but their branches kind of flick about...
looks like their leaves are desappearing an re-appearing again from one frame to another.
Is this a bug? is there a solution?

http://www.imagoculture.com/files/Sequence01.mov

cyphyr

I would guess this would happen if the model quality in the population node is not set to its highest setting.
Rivhard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

pagan

where do you change the quality setting of the population?

pagan

sorry just found it!
I will try that
Many thanks!

pagan

no success , still moving about...but less then before.
I have the highest setting

Just flick the images in the win browser

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

pagan

my detail blending is set to 1 should I go higher?
When I rendered a close up of the tree you can actually see branches popping...

RArcher

Could be caused by a few things.  First off you will want to keep your detail level to at least 0.5, but preferably 0.75 or around there.  Your AA should be set over 10 at the least for vegetation, and if you are using the GI system, you will have to increase the GI blur radius to around 250.  This should help reduce or eliminate the flickering altogether.

pagan

Thanks a lot for all your advice!
I will try that but I guess it will increase enourmously my rendering time, I need to do quite a lot of shots with those trees, do you know a way to speed up the process?
Or I guess I will have to find another way to fake trees, is it possible to use billboards that look always at the camera? But in this way there will be the problems of their shadows

Hi RArcher!
Could you check also this (if I don't ask too much)
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4870.0

I really like the outcrops that you made in that landscape

Oshyan

The problem is almost certainly the result of your detail setting and not AA, or even population quality (although this will have an effect as well). My guess is you've got your render detail at about .25 or lower judging by your screenshots, and you can see the large triangles visible in the surface texturing as a result. The tree rendering is also going to be affected by this coarse detail and this results in larger than usual jumps in the rendering of the trees between frames. The only solution is to increase detail.

- Oshyan

pagan

I have shoot up to 2 the detail and still having flickering
Is there any expalnation of the GI detail settings?
Do they also affect vegetation?
Shoud I use detail blending?

pagan

Ok I have been doing quite a lot of testing and the flickering is almost gone
however it is quite hard to find the right balance between all the parameters.
Basically I have notice that when introducing vegetation the renderng time increses quite a lot because the setting must be higher.
Not a major problem if one has to render one image but, quite a big one if you want to render an entire project of about 8 shots of around 2 min each
It would be nice if in the future the vegetaion could have it's own quality setting and not depending on the detail of the whole scene.
this is because I may be happy with unrealistic vegetation but very detailed landscape or viceversa.
I may be not very good with this settings or doing something wrong, but I think that this would certainly make a different in the choice of using terragen as ladscape renderer.
Still a very good piece of kit which I hope I will use for long...

rcallicotte

Did you ever up your value for Detail Blending?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

Can you upload a clip of you population node?

pagan

Yes I did up my value in the detail blending

ok here is my clip file.

What about the GI What are these?

I just found out that the do ray traced shadows option will increse the rendering time enourmously(obvioulsy)
is there another way to fake shadows?

Also I am not using a distance shader for vegetation..should I? where should I plug it into? Use density shader box?