A Matter Of Mountains

Started by PorcupineFloyd, October 01, 2008, 06:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcupineFloyd

I've finally decided to show TG people some of my work done recently in TG2 after some basic required practice.

Picture link:
http://porcupinefloyd.deviantart.com/art/A-Matter-of-Mountains-99544702

I know about a bit poor distribution of this light green material on lowlands but I really wanted to make something big in scale and impressive because of this, without getting into really deep details and I think it turned out pretty well.
What do you think?

rcallicotte

Sensational.  I love the viewpoint and the mountains look very realistic.  Great sense of depth.

One thing I noticed - the lines in your snow.  Do you see them?  It's a sign of needing some more fractalization.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PorcupineFloyd

Thanks for your comment.

Yes, I've noticed them too. However, I believe they add some softness to the snow layer and after all - they are very specific and interesting. I understand that they blow up the "hyperrealistic" feel but that's not the only point in TG renders.

I've also experimented with the light positioned very low and in the top right and top left corner, together with atmosphere ray tracing enabled and it also looks interesting. It would take at last 50 hours of rendering on my C2Q in hi-resolution. Quite much.

chaps

I love the view point also, and the depth of the picture.

I can't decide about the lines on snow layer, generally snow presents very regular lines, after fall or wind, but very few slope breaks.

Thank you for the picture,

Pascal.

MacGyver

Excellent point of view, very dramatic setup. The lines in the snow add a sort-of surrealistic feel in my opinion, quite interesting. :)
Since I'm a fan of megalomaniac render times, I would really like to see the raytraced compositions you talked about... at least you should give your quad something to do :P
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

PorcupineFloyd

So I think that I'll have to warm my room a little more with my quad ;)

But first I need to find the best looking spot for sun.

MacGyver

Oh I know what you're talking about ;D I have my little laptop from work running and it's like a warm summer breeze in my room :D
Thank you in advance for your efforts, I hope it will be worth it :)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Phylloxera

Beautiful sight, excellent idea, but the mountains anquent of naturalness, they are too “angular”!

PorcupineFloyd

Crystek

Incredible POV  :o

The tree color is a little too bright, I think.

PorcupineFloyd

I wanted to make some fields using voronoi at first, but after all it was left green. Dark green on higher parts of mountains and lighter one on lowlands. But yeah - I agree that this green could take some tweaking :)