Help needed with planet object atmosphere setting

Started by AndyWelder, October 05, 2008, 06:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

When adding a new planet object it comes with an atmosphere with default settings for height, density etc. That works well, even if you change the planet's size. But if the size is extremely reduced to, lets say 100 (meters?) it looks like the planet object has no atmosphere.
I tried adjusting the "Ceiling" to a value of 150 thinking this would create a sphere of 300 diameter, thus nicely surrounding the planet object with a radius of 100, but nothing did show.
Is it that I totally misunderstand the concept of atmosphere's or is there something else that I miss? Fiddling with the "Floor" didn't help either nor raising the atmosphere detail value to the max.
Anyone with some experience on this who could help?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

JimB

Could it be the density isn't high enough? You might need to compensate for the lack of volume (virtually non-existent at that scale, compared to a full sized planet).
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Oshyan

Yes, I believe you'll need to adjust density, as well as all of the height values (including Haze and Bluesky Exp Heights). Try multiplying density by 15 or so, and taking the height values down to something reasonably relative to your planet size (i.e. very small).

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

Don't laugh, you two! It turned out there was a visible atmosphere but it was not visible against the background... I discovered this with a new render where the camera stood at the other side of the planet group.
No need to adjust the "Haze" and "Bluesky Exp Heights", densities in this render used were around 20. "Ceiling" and "Floor" settings as described above.

Thanks for the advice btw.

Oshyan

Very cool little render! Glad you got it working. :)

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

JimAward

Very cute little 'planets' (moons?)  :D
However, I don't succeed making my planets that small. Could you please share some settings?
Thanks!

JM

AndyWelder

QuoteHowever, I don't succeed making my planets that small. Could you please share some settings?
First thing you have to do (or what I did in this case) is delete the default power fractal shader from the planet internals and replace it with a set of shaders build around a fake stones shader.

I find it convenient to add vegetation and atmosphere in the planet internals: That way you keep oversight and it's easier to copy. If you copy the planet, you copy the whole "system".

JimAward

Quote from: AndyWelder on October 10, 2008, 06:18:45 AM
Quote... replace it with a set of shaders build around a fake stones shader.

That's a good one, this fake stone shader approach. Thanks Andy. I'll play with it (not much time now for TG...)
JM