The First Official Images from Star Trek 2009

Started by Confusoid, October 16, 2008, 07:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confusoid

Warning: Spoilers!!!    ;D

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=685450

Whether you are a fan or not, love, like trek or hate it, this is indeed different. I am going to reserve any pre-mature judgment until i see this flick myself.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

otakar

Man, check out the debate on the CG Society site. Highly entertaining!

I have very very mixed emotions about this one. Nobody can recreate TOS. Replacing the cast is just impossible, but maybe people too young to have been captivated by TOS won't compare and therefore won't care. I really want to leave the old gang behind, or have them included in a few rare cameo scenes as retired officers or whatever, but don't revisit the old Enterprise with a fake crew. Just don't! There are some things which should not be touched, but I guess money talks.

On the other hand, the Star Trek franchise needs to come back from the dead. Certainly, a lot of CG stuff can be done today looking much better than before. But Star Trek was never about mainly action and flash. We need good character development, and the exploration of large issues facing mankind. This is hard to do with today's state of cinema and network TV. I liked Enterprise, but only caught a few episodes, no idea which season they were from, but sadly it has not caught on...

rcallicotte

If anyone can do this, J.J. Abrams can.

I'll go see it no matter what anyone says.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

reck

Here's a nice article about the film with some spoilers.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html

Also we'll have more of an idea about that films like soon, the first proper trailer is released Nov 14th :)

Mohawk20

I do like the shot of the bridge, where it looks as modern as it should with all the screens and stuff.

The new crew doesn't bother me as much, because although I have seen TOS, it didn't affect me stat much, I was more the Next Gen, DS9 type anyways.

The problem is that the last series, "Enterprise", didn't go to well, because it didn't hold to the 'Star Trek spirit', it was way to violent and hard.
True Star Trek is a bout peaceful exploration, with a little hint of bad guys in it.
I don't know if they even know how to do that nowadays...
Howgh!

Mandrake

Strange seeing that eggbeater type thing at the front of the necell (SP). Probably wait for it to make it to cable.