Terragen 2 Beta Discussion

Started by PG, October 20, 2008, 08:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonshine777

Quote from: reck on October 21, 2008, 11:14:47 AM
Quote from: sonshine777 on October 21, 2008, 11:04:11 AM
Sounds Awesome!!! I guess I will have to start saving up for a better machine so I can take advantage of all the new goodies. :)

How about a core i7

I've been salivating over some of the stuff in this thread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4981.0

It's just a matter of time/money. :)

sjefen

This is great news.
I'm really looking forward to the painting tool and the rock object.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

PorcupineFloyd

Multi-threaded cloud speed optimizations, that's always good ;-)

gregsandor

Great news.  I'm really looking forward to the painting tool. 

Have you added a mask channel for object specularity?

Matt

Quote from: gregsandor on October 21, 2008, 08:14:02 PM
Have you added a mask channel for object specularity?

Not yet, sorry.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

monks

Been using TG a fair bit of late -this is great news!  :)

monks

Oshyan

Quote from: lightning on October 20, 2008, 09:07:24 PM
so this is just like painted eco systems in vue thats awesome!
It has a similar functionality, but I believe it is generally more versatile in that it can be used to mask or apply color to any surface, as well as populations.

Unfortunately the 16 shader material limit for objects remains. That will likely be fixed in an update following release.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

With Vue you end up painting individual instances, whereas with the painted shader you're effectively painting the density mask for the population, and the populator still places the instances as before. You can get a similar effect to Vue's ecosystems by creating a number of populators with different models and using the same painted shader as the density mask for each. With the painted shader you can currently paint in the 3D Preview at any angle, wheres with Vue you only seem to able to paint in a plan view. It's still early days with the painted shader though and we may need to change the way it works in the future. It's not especially refined right now, but you can do some cool stuff with it nevertheless.

Regards,

Jo

gregsandor

Will we be able to export that painted density mask?

lightning

Quote from: jo on October 23, 2008, 03:28:07 AM
Hi,

With Vue you end up painting individual instances, whereas with the painted shader you're effectively painting the density mask for the population, and the populator still places the instances as before. You can get a similar effect to Vue's ecosystems by creating a number of populators with different models and using the same painted shader as the density mask for each. With the painted shader you can currently paint in the 3D Preview at any angle, wheres with Vue you only seem to able to paint in a plan view. It's still early days with the painted shader though and we may need to change the way it works in the future. It's not especially refined right now, but you can do some cool stuff with it nevertheless.

Regards,

Jo
um this actually sounds better than the eco system :)
its really going to cut down recorces as well because you will be able to paint your mask only where the camera is pointed which is great!
Also are you going to add more options to the object preview? i think bounding boxes are very crude and thus not very accurate :( what i would like is just a very simple openglbillboard option  (like vues) with a simple click i would be able to see exactly where i have placed each of my plants without having to render every 2 minutes to see if everything looks ok will this be added in future releases?

lightning

Quote from: gregsandor on October 23, 2008, 04:10:59 AM
yes this would be good if you would want to edit your mask in PS or something :)

rcallicotte

Wow.  It took me a while to get to this.  Awesome!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

Quote from: gregsandor on October 23, 2008, 04:10:59 AM

Not yet, but it's on the to-do list.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

We probably won't be able to make any significant improvements to object previews before release, but we definitely want to in the future. We recognize it's difficult to work with objects right now partly because of that.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

That's good to know Oshyan  ;)

Oh, and nice logo Lighting, you're really getting that site on the road!
Howgh!