first image with TG2

Started by tagan, October 23, 2008, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tagan

i used:
2049_Dolomiti.ter
Rock Base shaders (download from file sharing)
Grass Base shaders (download from file sharing)
Ice and Snow shaders (download from file sharing)

Size 800x600
Detail 0.8
AA 3
GI 2,2,8
2h 55m 38s

http://rapidshare.com/files/156834878/2049_Dolomiti.zip (TER file)
Tagan, Rome - Italy
Intel QX9650 3GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 6.6.6.18, 1TB Raid0, nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB, XP x64 Professional and....
......a GREAT Desire to Learn Terragen 2

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Nicely done, keep it up :).

Perhaps you could try adding some objects to your next scene.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Crystek

Looks good, but the clouds seem a little too flat.

tagan

Quote from: Crystek on October 25, 2008, 09:27:50 AM
Looks good, but the clouds seem a little too flat.

ok, I study how to make them full-bodied.
thank you
Tagan, Rome - Italy
Intel QX9650 3GHz, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 6.6.6.18, 1TB Raid0, nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB, XP x64 Professional and....
......a GREAT Desire to Learn Terragen 2

Will

Nice start, as for making the clouds less flat, you could give them more depth by using the sliding in the cloud function or for diffrent shapes you could play around with the fractal that's connected to them along with the sliders and check-boxs under the "Tweaks" tab in the cloud shader. Keep it up, and welcome to the community.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

burgor57

Can I comment on the time to render.
I am new to Terragen (using ver 0.9) and see you 800x600 render took nearly 3 hours.
Does anyone ever try to create much larger images - say 6000 x 4000 ?
Any idea how long that may take - I run a Dual Core 2.3ghz machine with 4GB RAM.
Could this kind of resolution take too long to be realistic?

PorcupineFloyd

From my perspective 6000 x 4000 is overkill. You may try rendering pictures in TG2 in such resolution as long as there are no reflections (water) or detailed objects (trees). So you should be quite ok in render times (100 - 150 hours?) even in that big resolution as long as you're not using something hardcore. I'm usually doing my pictures in 3000 x 2000 or in 3600 x 2400 and they take from 24 hours to 72 (even with some vegetation).

I have quad core running at 3.2 GHz and 4GB of RAM.

burgor57

Thanks for the reply about render times.  So using a quad core 3.2 Ghz pc takes 24-72 hours for an image 3600-2400. My Dual core 2.3 Ghz machine would take even longer then.  If I print at 360 ppi that's a 10" wide print.  I am looking for more like 20" wide, with the potential to scale up to 30" or 40" wide.

I wonder if this is going to be just too much to ask.  A render farm approach would help, sharing the work across 2 or more pc's on a local network.
Does anyone know if this is something planned in version 2?

Matt

Render times really depend on what's in the scene and what quality settings you use - it is difficult to generalise based on resolution alone. A simple scene in v0.9 could render in less than an hour at 3200x2400. More complex scenes may take much longer. TG2 is slower, but again it depends on what's in the scene and the choice of various quality settings. 100 hours may be expected for some scenes, but it doesn't have to be true for everything you render! The other thing to consider is that TG2 is multi-threaded so can get more out of your dual-core machine than v0.9 can.

We don't have the ability to automatically split renders onto multiple computers at this time. We would like to implement a semi-automated tiling system for TG2 in future though.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Also keep in mind that the larger your print size, the lower the necessary "PPI". After all, the viewing distance usually increases, and thus the eye's ability to discern detail is reduced relative to the absolute area of the print. Most posters of 20-40" in size are printed at between 150 and 240 "PPI" (or "DPI"), so you can use more reasonable render sizes.

- Oshyan