Brule flutes with caustics

Started by arisdemos, October 30, 2008, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arisdemos

Hi fellow Tg fans
Dandelo had given me some help with my caustics understanding on one of his donation related threads in file sharing, and he told me he wasn't sure that any riverine caustics would be a really needed element in my related Native American WIP. So this was an attempt to quickly answer that question in my mind at least. Thanks for your viewing time and any C&C are welcome.

Mohawk20

I'd really like to see the original render...
Howgh!

arisdemos

Hi Mohawk, what are you referring to when you say the "original" render. The jpg that I sent with this submission was copied from a tiff I created in PS and made smaller to fit the size requirements of Planetside's forum. Are you meaning that I should put up the full size tiff image (over 3.5 megs) of this, or the series of renders in TG2 that this composite picture was made from?

Mohawk20

I mean the direct TG output, then we can see your Terragen skills, ánd your postwork skills.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

arisdemos

Hi again Mohawk
To answer your questions (and perhaps some of my own) concerning both my TG skills and postwork skills. As one can easily see my postwork skills pretty well speak for themselves, but in the TG2 portion of this work it is almost at least as convoluted if not more so than the polishing up work in PS. First the initial pic that I originally posted gives you some idea of how this image began befor I turned toward a different themed and much more detailed picture that would include some simulated quality of caustics with an increase in faked rocks/procedural grass and more transparency to the river. The first thing I attempted (as my posted questions showed) was the use of clip files to create procedural grass and river rock structures integrated together, and I will show you the jpg that began this evolving river bottom and the grass structure under the teepees and buffalo. Lightning's grass clumps also are a part of this mix, and I will include these as a mid stage example of the several series of TG2 renders for your examination. There are a vast number of postwork steps intermixed in every step of stitching together these foundation TG2 renders and just too many permutaions/postwork to ever illustrate on this or any other thread.

I have had two priorities in creating this particular landscape and associated graphic images, and that was to use TG2 and the original old Terragen DEM to make a credible Native American related image by whatever worked. It took a little of everything from a large consortium of graphic/functional resouces and my own devious bag of tricks to get everthing to this point. One can only hope that the end justifies my making up for a lack of more complete TG2 skills with any temporary graphics crutch that could help to improve my understanding of this wonderful program. I personally think that at this point I now have many more TG2 skills than when I began this project, and maybe my next work can include a base of the full version of TG2 and bring all those tools and assets to my assistance.

The bottom line is that I wanted at least a near commercial level image using the free version from planetside, the viewer must judge (perhaps by the "puddin") if I achieved this or if I am merely a wannabee TG2 artist who must always rely on BS "fudge factors" for creating decorative wallpaper. I cannot in all truth see this image being completed to this present state without my having used TG2. Thanks for your interest and input and thanks to Calico for the kind comment.

Mohawk20

Well, i must say that the TG2 portion looks pretty good on itself!
Are the tipi's objects or postwork? If they're postwork, you got the lighting spot on.

Because of my nickname, I should probably begin on an indian/native style scene myself... ;)
Howgh!

arisdemos

Waste from my heart Mohawk kola
the teepees are object models I created from a base creation of  a fellow in Germany by the name of Helmut, and in the final image there is some postwork to boost the realism of the poles and doorways. There is much truth to your statement about the lighting used on these models because they furnished the most reliable cues as to shadowing the various figures. both other models and painted creations needed some additional help to remain visually appealling while at least somewhat true to the proper sunlight source/direction.

Native American cultures have always given me great enjoyment and education in the fields of graphics and fine art.  Some of the finest Native American wisdom and philosophy came from the tribe of your namesake, so I would hope that you would find grassroots inspiration within the shelter of your adopted mothers spiritual longhouse. Best wishes Arisdemos.