Distribution and fake stones

Started by mhaze, November 01, 2008, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Hi

I might be talking nonsense but here goes anyway. Looking very carefully I think that the stones are centered on ground POINTS that conform to your slope restrictions BUT because the stones are much larger than than those points they appear to be grwong out of the slope.

Hope that makes sense the only way to test this would be with perfectly smooth gradients.

Mick

Alfamike

Quote from: mhaze on November 14, 2008, 10:38:51 AM
Hi

I might be talking nonsense but here goes anyway. Looking very carefully I think that the stones are centered on ground POINTS that conform to your slope restrictions BUT because the stones are much larger than than those points they appear to be grwong out of the slope.

Hope that makes sense the only way to test this would be with perfectly smooth gradients.

Mick

Yup, I see what you mean. Thanks. I made them bright and large to more easily see them. Will scale them down and see if that helps.

Regards.
AM.

Matt

You might be onto something with the Compute Terrain's patch size. You could try with a much smaller patch size (the size of the stones, say) to verify that that's what is happening. If so, it's not a bug - just a limitation in the accuracy of the slope represented by the patch size.

Be careful when using a very small patch size, though, because the patch size needs to be large enough to prevent displacements from changing direction too rapidly. It's also needed for the surface layer's "intersect underlying" feature.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.