Terragen 2 stops working immediately after opening the program.

Started by schmeerlap, November 05, 2008, 11:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

All was working OK on my last computer (a single core PC with Windows XP 32bit, 2Gb ram, and a GeForce 6600 graphics card) I have recently bought a new computer with an Intel core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 ram, Asus P5N-D motherboard with a ATI Radeon HD 3800 series graphics card installed. The operating system is Vista Home Premium 64bit. Terragen 2 (latest and older builds) installed OK, but when I try to run the program it ceases to run after telling me it has recognised 4 cores. Windows message begins "A problem caused the program to stop working properly. Windows will close the program . . . . ". I have installed the latest drivers for the graphics card but this makes no difference. I have exactly the same problem with Blender. World Machine 2 starts but the user interface is faulty, and stops working as soon as I go to Explorer view. Vue 6 Esprit opens with a warning that my graphics card is not recognised properly and advises me to go to compatibility mode which then switches to using OpenGL software instead of OpenGL hardware acceleration. I suspect that I need to change my graphics card. Can you advise me which cards will successfully run Terragen 2 and work with Vista 64bit operating system.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Oshyan

It sounds like there is a general problem with your graphics card since multiple programs are not working, and some are giving specific error message regarding the graphics system. Terragen 2 will run fine with any modern graphics card, provided that card is working properly. Anything from a Geforce 5200 to a Geforce 280 GTX, from a Radeon 7400, to a Radeon 4870 X2. I believe Nvidia generally has the better drivers, though I'm not sure if this holds true for 64 bit.

- Oshyan

schmeerlap

Thanks Oshyan. Do any of the Planetside developers use the Vista 64bit operating system, and if so which graphics card are they using?

RArcher

I am not a developer, but I am running Vista 64, with an ATI Radeon HD 4870.  Works great for me but it is total overkill for just Terragen use.  Previously I was using a Radeon 9500 Pro from 2002 and that worked fine too.

schmeerlap

Thanks RArcher. I'm beginning to think I've got a faulty card.

cyphyr

Not a dev either but I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 using on a NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT and the kit in my sig. No real problems so far. I think your right, sounds like your graphics card is at fault. Can you re install the old GeForce 6600 and see if that fixes the problem?
Good luck
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

I'm on Vista Business x64 with an Nvidia 8800 GTS, no problems here.

- Oshyan

schmeerlap

Thanks for your help, guys. And to Cyphyr, I'm in the process of doing just that (that card is in my old computer). I've just downloaded the latest drivers for that GeForce card for Vista 64 and am about to boldly go and get my hands dirty, and transfer it to my new Vista64 computer. Hears hoping I don't **** things right up.