Hanging Valley

Started by Mohawk20, November 07, 2008, 03:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

You could try this method that Old_Baggard came up with where you use a masked cloud layer to be your waterfall

http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item427

Mohawk20

Yeah, but I want it in the distance, and just shiny reflective...
I'll get there though. Just keep pluggin' away.
Howgh!

Mohawk20

This is more or less the result I wanted...

Now to improve the rest of the image  ;)
Any suggestions?
Howgh!

rcallicotte

The water stream needs reflectance and some transparency to look real.  The cloud at the bottom needs more diversity.

These are what I see.  I know it's a challenge to do what you're doing and I like how it looks so far.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

The problem is that the water stream is a surface layer with a watershader as child. The surface layer has a streched powerfractal for colour to get the vertical strokes in it. But I have not been able to get it transparent...

The cloud can be fixed easily.
Howgh!

cyphyr

Jumping in here, but would it not be easier to just model the stream. Take a LW Micro Export from an orthographic camera plan view from above your area of interest. Then slightly extrude the "stream" polygons in your modeling app, loose any un-necessary polys and save as obj. Once you re-import the stream it will be in exactly the right place.
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mohawk20

I'd like it to be TG2 only....
Howgh!

Mohawk20

Finally got the next version together.

As you can see below, the waterfall still needs a lot of work. As do the clouds, but those are easily fixed...
Please OB, I could really use your help here  ;)

(For more versions of this render, check this post on Ashundar: http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?topic=4576.msg36224#msg36224 )
Howgh!

Mohawk20

And here is the final version, with more samples in the waterfall clouds...
Entered in the Ashundar Monthly contest.

I hope for some competition here!!
Howgh!

inkydigit

final looks great!...well done!

rcallicotte

Wow.  This is very nice.  Looks habitable.   ;D

Mohawk20

This might seem like an old topic by now (had to search through 3 pages), but all the time between the this post and the last, I've been working on a rope bridge.
I had to rebuild the model 3 times, because the scale was wrong.

I used the lwo exporter node to get the shape of the river and the island in 3DsMax so the bridge would really fit the landscape.
But when the last model was finally done, getting it to the same place as in Max was quite a challenge as well.

But I did it, and below are the results.

Now for a cottage on the island... to make it inhabited indeed  ;)
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Really believable.  Great job on the foliage and terrain.  Cool rope bridge.  This looks good.

Mohawk20

As requested by some at Ashundar, a closer view of the bridge...

I now see I need to extend the support poles downward a bit.
Howgh!

lonewolf

A very nice model indeed. I'd extend the support poles upto the original height below the deck just to make sure. Perhaps if you stretched the bridge a tiny bit, it would make the approach a little easier for residents too.  ;D

Iain