Pixel Filters

Started by reck, November 10, 2008, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Mohawk, thanks for all your work here.  This is all incredibly helpful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

I see what you mean, it looks good. But I need to say that the huge glow around the contact point is not caused by the anti-aliasing bloom - it just doesn't create that much glow. Maybe it's the atmosphere being illuminated by the lightning bolt using GI. Because the lightning bolt is such a narrow source of light, it could be a matter of luck whether the atmosphere around it catches it or not. It's a very tricky thing for the GI engine to solve accurately. Supersample prepass may have helped though.

Or maybe it could be the light source (?) at the bottom, but I guess you didn't make any changes to that? I'm not sure really, but it's not because of anti-aliasing bloom.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Did you add any extra fog or haze?

Mohawk20

I didn't add anything, just checked the jittering and AA/Bloom.
Howgh!

Matt

Hmm.. if it was rendered in an older version than 1.9.99.1 it could be due to something I improved with light sources in the atmosphere. All improvements, whatever the cause :)

Matt

Mohawk20

I guess you're right, the heavy glow is there without the AA Bloom.
Still nice to see that's fixed as well though...
Howgh!

moodflow

Yes, I've noticed "subtle" improvements in the lighting on the scene since the Beta.  The scenes just "look better".  Or I am going crazy.   ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Shhh.  Electro-brain therapy is no fun.

Quote from: moodflow on November 14, 2008, 09:27:18 AM
Or I am going crazy.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

arlyn9391

Quote from: reck on November 10, 2008, 03:12:14 PM
So has anyone got any useful information on the new Pixel filters? I know some of these filters are used in other 3d apps and i've seen their docs but i'm more interested in how they work in TG. For instance I know some are pretty basic, some offer sharper results while others softer but is there a general all round good filter to use in TG.

Maybe it's best to use one filter over another when developing certain scenes, but which filter should be used where?

Also has anyone got a grasp on how each of the filters affects rendering speed. I know box is the most basic filter but does it render a lot faster than say Mitch or Catmull? If not is there any point in box any more?

Right now when it comes to render a "final" output i'd be pretty much guessing which filter to use, some guidance would be handy if anyone can offer some.

Thank you for sharing with us that information about the pixel filters. A pixel filter is also for creating a Mandelbrot set, right?

domdib

No, the pixel filters control the relative sharpness/smoothness of the image. They're not for making fractals.

Walli

I guess its not possible to implement a distance based pixelfilter? Because for landscape renders this would give you some sort of DOF for free. The DOF effect in typical landscape scenes is subtle. So if it would be possible to use the sharper filter in the foreground, and a softer in the back, then this would a nice thing..

domdib

Walli's idea sounds pretty smart - I second it!