closing a window within TG2, sometimes minimizes TG2

Started by moodflow, November 14, 2008, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Quote from: jo on November 15, 2008, 08:17:34 PM
Hi,

Are those of you having problems using network views/3D Previews/shader previews in separate windows at all? Or are you just using the one main window?

Regards,

Jo

I only use the main window, except for settings of shaders.
Howgh!

j meyer

Hey Jo,
My experience is that the more i use separate view windows the more
of these UI quirks i get.The white block PG mentioned,disappearing
floaters,the 3d Preview closing while the node view gets expanded
and so on and so forth.

And i agree with lonewolf about the additional windows opening at
the bottom of the already open one btw.
J.

moodflow

I think this may be happening exclusively when looking at subwindows for objects.

For instance, open up a subtree for an object (ie the shaders), then close out the shaders window.  It will minimize all of TG2.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

PG

Tried it and it didn't happen for me. But I did get an error for loading a texture, odd in itself because the textures are built into the model file, and the window closes immediately. I haven't set them to hide.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

QuoteFor instance, open up a subtree for an object (ie the shaders), then close out the shaders window.  It will minimize all of TG2.

I get that too but instead of properly minimizing, TG just 'falls behind' any other open windows I have on my screen, then it takes several clicks on the TG taskbar button to restore it to the top. It usually happens if I close a settings panel that's not in the main node network view. e.g. a shader inside another network tree, or object.

Sometimes the render window does this too, in the hangtime between the GI pass and the start of the actual rendering.
It also happens in the hangtime between buckets, if complexed settings are involved. Not always replicable.

PG

That happens to me with Windows Media player a lot.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

jo

Hi,

Quote from: dandelO on November 16, 2008, 09:10:38 PM
I get that too but instead of properly minimizing, TG just 'falls behind' any other open windows I have on my screen, then it takes several clicks on the TG taskbar button to restore it to the top.

This is a very important point. I have never had TG2 actually minimise when closing one of its windows. Minimising is when the window itself is no longer on the screen, and the only representation of it is the button in the task bar. If TG2 were minimised then if you close the windows of all other applications you had running you would not see the TG2 window on the screen. However, what I have seen before is what dandelO describing. This where another window comes to the front instead of the TG2 window you were expecting. If you were using other applications with their windows maximised then when their window came forward it might look like TG2 was minimised. The difference would be that if you close the windows of all other applications the TG2 window would still be visible on the screen. It's pretty important that we're clear what is happening, and making a distinction between actual minimising and just another window coming to the front.

TG2 actually minimising when clicking a window's close button would be a new problem, one I've never seen before and something pretty weird.

However, the problem with another window coming to the front is a longstanding one, and one I've spent quite some time looking into. After messing around with other Windows apps, with TG2 not running, I've found it's actually not possible to 100% predict which window will come to the front when another window is closed. My feeling is that this is something inherent to Windows, but it's more obvious with TG2 because we use windows in a way which isn't that common. It is a pain, but at this point I'm not sure it's something fixable.

QuoteIt usually happens if I close a settings panel that's not in the main node network view. e.g. a shader inside another network tree, or object.

Yes, it seems most likely to happen with a window which is floating, like a settings panel ( official name is "param floater" ). However I think it could also happen with other windows as well. I can actually reproduce the problem using the main window and a couple of param floaters, but I can't figure out why it causes another application's window to come forward. I'll will look into it more during the beta period, I may have a "Eureka" moment :-).

Regards,

Jo