Core detection/allocation not working in beta?

Started by dandelO, November 19, 2008, 10:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Because of the limitations of my computer I must limit TG from using both processors(my computer needs an upgrade, it shuts down instantly if I drive it too hard rendering on both processors, no warning, no saving your settings, just dead).

I noticed this then...

The report from my task manager is that, when I limit TG to use just 1 core through the preferences menu, it still uses 2... But, it seems, only half of each. Approximately 50% cpu usage but both processors working to a spiky looking half power.

Default user override:
[attachimg=#]

The only way I can make TG use a single core is to set affinity in the task manager processes tab. See next image, still approximately 50% cpu but, one core maxed/the other free. Not too much hassle but it needs done everytime TG is started. Not ideal.

Manual affinity override:
[attachimg=#]

Is this the way that it's supposed to be, I don't think so.

jo

Hi dandelO,

Yes, this is the way it's supposed to work. It's up to the OS which core executes which threads, not the application. When you tell TG2 to only use one thread it only starts one thread, but then the OS decides when to run it and where. This isn't a problem with TG2, if your machine was working properly it wouldn't be an issue.

Regards,

Jo

dandelO

Thankyou, Jo. I'm just back online after my old PC died completely. Now I'm back with a new computer and don't need to limit TG to one of its cores anymore. Thanks for replying.