Painted Shader and Water

Started by rcallicotte, November 20, 2008, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Frank, I have since tried another way to do this by using a Displacement Shader with the Paint Shader, but if you can think of anything different about your idea than what was mentioned here, I'll try it. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Here's a river.tgd I made a couple of weeks ago for someone else, Calico.
It uses the painted shader as the base to build the rest of the scene on. The water will only render where the river shows, not beneath the terrain. :)

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

* Please excuse the low quality preview*

rcallicotte

I didn't think about using a plane.  Did Frank say something about a plane...am I missing something?

Thanks DandelO!

FrankB

[attachimg=#]

Here's the river the way I painted it. I'm also attaching the tgd.
You can see I have painted too fast: in the foreground, you still see the round shapes of the brush.

Hope that helps,
Frank

jaf

I guess this is a good place for me to ask this question.  I tried searches to find the answer with no luck. And I couldn't find any documentation.

I wanted to play with the Painted Shader.  I downloaded a few scenes that use it and saw the "painted" image to make a river.  I read a message with some painted shader tips.  But I can't paint!

I click on the button to open shader preview in a new window and let the render finish and expected to be able to paint in that window.  Nothing happens.  I have enable checked.  I can't figure out how to do the actual painting.

I know I'm going to feel like a real dummy when I find out what I'm doing wrong (or not doing.)  Any hints?
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

PG

Shader preview? Do you mean 3D preview? If so, I just tried it and it works as you can see in this screenshot.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Yeah, as PG's screenshot shows, you have to use the 'B' button (B for brush) above the preview to start painting.
Howgh!

jaf

Thanks.  That was it -- I didn't notice the "B" button.

PG, the button on the Painted Shader (top far right) is called "Open shader preview in new window".  That window also has the "B" button.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

PG

Ah I see. That's just previewing the result of the shader through a "Virtual" camera, so you'll have to adjust that camera to be over the position that you want the mask to be. It's generally easier to do this in the 3D preview because you can see where you are more easily. Just move the camera to the area you want to paint so you can be more accurate then snap the camera back to where it should be afterwards with the select different view camera button then current render camera.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

al91

Quote from: FrankB on November 24, 2008, 03:05:52 AM
[attachimg=#]

You can see I have painted too fast: in the foreground, you still see the round shapes of the brush.

Hope that helps,
Frank

like the previous qn.how did u make the river somehow reflect or shine? any tips? :)

and the river looked as if it has ripple

rcallicotte

He included the TGD.

Quote from: al91 on January 03, 2009, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: FrankB on November 24, 2008, 03:05:52 AM
[attachimg=#]

Hope that helps,
Frank

like the previous qn.how did u make the river somehow reflect or shine? any tips? :)

and the river looked as if it has ripple

al91

hmm i know but i cant seem to reproduce it  :-[

rcallicotte

The ripples are painting too fast with certain settings.  It's like a smudge.

Quote from: al91 on January 04, 2009, 03:29:33 AM
hmm i know but i cant seem to reproduce it  :-[

al91

yes. but i cant seem to make the river reflect light like his did  :-\

dandelO

You do have a water shader in there, shading the surface that the painted shader is describing?

I usually make the water layer a normal surface layer(no colour applied). I use my river mask in a default shader's opacity function that feeds into the surface layer input. The water shader is then set as a child layer...

[attachimg=#]