Painted Shader and Water

Started by rcallicotte, November 20, 2008, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Has anyone figured out a way to use the Paint Shader and create a river?  I thought if I could just get a Density Shader input into the water itself, fine.  But, there is no such thing nor any such way.  Yet.

Any ideas or success?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

It was one of the first things I tried. Trouble is. The water shader doesn't have the capability to add a blending shader, nor is there any way to control the lake object in that way. The only way I think you could do it would be with a second terrain like DandelOs waterfall.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

I also figured out that if I create a thick jungle of trees (via population) and then use the paint shader on these, then invert it, I can put the water over this area and only the water shows through in that invert-painted area.  Everywhere else - just trees.

PG

Yeah, that's a good way of doing it.

Mohawk20

I used a simple solution in my Hanging Valley project (see the renders in this post for the river: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5124.msg53804#msg53804 ).

Painted the river, attached as function to a displacement shader with a displacement multiplier setting of -200. That cuts the river out of the landscape, and you just use a lake at the right altitude to fill it up.

But you can also plug the painted shader in as blendshader of a surface layer that has a water shader as child. That worked a bit for the early renders of the hanging valley waterfalls/river.
Howgh!

PG

I think I may have asked this before but is there any way to use the painted shader at any other rotation? If you do anything with the shader as it is then everything is done horizontally.

old_blaggard

If you're asking for projection options, (like plan Y, plan X, etc.) then you can find them in the painted shader's "Transform" tab.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

PG

Hmm. tried it but it didn't do anything. Basically, you ever seen pictures of a comet? They have the ice and stuff just in front of the comet being blown back in a convex shape. I know you can't rotate the lake object, not yet at least, but you could do it on terrain. Trouble is you can only seem to dig straight down into the terrain, or you use negative displacement to go upward. there's no horizontal displacement. Would the techniques used in renders like climbing the chimney work?

Mohawk20

Howgh!

rcallicotte

Brilliant!  This Painted Shader has changed everything!

Thanks Mohawk, O_B, and PG.  This has all helped collectively and I'm ready to experiment more.  I'm combining the trees with the cut river...this is just a beginning.  What I need is Amazonian type trees... 

woohoo!!!

Mandrake

Calico see my response to the thread below, it contains dandelo's no frills painted shader river.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5157.0

FrankB

I'm using the painted shader as a mask for a regular surface layer, then attach the water shader as a child. This way I painted the little stream onto the ground in my WIP project "down below". Easy.
As long as your painted mask follows the terrain elevation somewhat correctly, it should look ok. That way you don't need a lake object, and also can paint rivers that flow down a slope. It's not 100% optimal though, you may not want to allow a too close look at its borders.

Frank

rcallicotte

Thanks Mandrake, dandelO and Frank.  I'm learning a lot of cool things we can do with this shader.

rcallicotte

Frank, how did you paint your river this way?  Did you use the defaults of the Paint Shader or change anything?  I setup the Blended Shader fine, but couldn't get all of the river to shine through.  I wonder if it has something to do with the Absolute or View Relative brush or maybe some setting under Coordinates on the Transform tab.

FrankB

Quote from: calico on November 22, 2008, 06:17:54 PM
Frank, how did you paint your river this way?  Did you use the defaults of the Paint Shader or change anything?  I setup the Blended Shader fine, but couldn't get all of the river to shine through.  I wonder if it has something to do with the Absolute or View Relative brush or maybe some setting under Coordinates on the Transform tab.

I'm not at my computer at the moment, but can look that up tomorrow. However, if i recall correctly, I haven't done anything in particular, other that what I described. Maybe, which I haven't mentioned before: I have used a hard brush (no soft borders).
I'm also not sure what you mean with the river not shining through. Shining through what?