Earth Rise WIP

Started by darthvader, November 21, 2008, 01:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

Something i've always wondered about is what the earth looks like from the moon...it might look something like this. I'm a little unsatisfied with the moon right now so that is where i am focusing the majority of my efforts...i just don't think it looks right. Feel free to comment and critique.
Detail: .6
AA: .6
GI: 0/0
Render Time: 26 minutes

[attachimg=#]

Confusoid

In space where there is no light being filtered by an atmosphere the moon should be very bright on it's surface, almost a glowing strong light source. The surface features though are very nice.  :)  Earth's night side should be pitch black. The stars should not be visible where the sun would out expose them all as well as the bright light source refracting off of the moon. Try to throw in some very light grey shades, almost white. That is if you are going for realism here.

Mahnmut

I see and beleive the photograph,
but I could imagine that there are regions on Moon that look quite as dark as darthvaders pic.
I think I once read that the mean albedo of the Moon is 0.07, what is quite dark. And at least the shadows should be pitchblack for the same reason mentioned above, shouldn´t they?
By the way, I always wondered about the phrase "earth rising" wich I´ve seen used even in scientific books.
For the same reason we only see one side of the Moon, from Moon the earth stands still in the sky (revolving).The Astronauts talking about rising Earth where moving quite fast.
Still it´s an interesting and faszinating expression showing the relativity of everything.
I like the Image.
Best regards,
Jan

3DGuy

You're right about the dark shadows. On the nasa picture however, the sun is pretty much directly overhead as can be seen by the lighting of the earth, this explains the lack of shadows in that nasa picture.

As for the render: up the brightness of the moon and lose the stars for realism. I'm also wondering where the lighting on the dark side of earth comes from. With the light levels involved you should not be able to see this. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

darthvader

I guess I should say that I am not going for complete realism...more of an idealized space photograph that could be made into a poster

Insquall

The moon has an albedo similar to tarmac if i recall correctly.
Also the moon has a silky quality to it that usually simulated like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oren-Nayar_diffuse_model

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Insquall on November 23, 2008, 08:29:48 PM
The moon has an albedo similar to tarmac if i recall correctly.
Also the moon has a silky quality to it that usually simulated like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oren-Nayar_diffuse_model

The Albedo level number for the Moon is 0.12 if it helps.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

rcallicotte

Mr. DarthVader, this is looking pretty good.  3DGuy is right on.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?