Accessing population data

Started by cyphyr, November 23, 2008, 01:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Is it possible to get at the population data (a cache possible that's created at "Populate Now" maybe?). I would like to be able to place trees populated in Terragen in the same positions, rotations and scales in Lightwave so I can get mega accurate comps together. Dose the data exist anywhere in a temp file or whatever?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PG

If there is then it's very very very well hidden. I've just trawled through my documents and settings folder and the TG2 folder right after creating a population and couldn't find anything.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

There is currently no way to do this. It might be part of future improvements to import/export functions though.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

I didnt want to create a new topic so I will bring up an old one.....

will there be a way to cache the population so I can load later??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

We do plan to add population caching in the future.

- Oshyan

Dune

What is population caching? I think I got pretty far, but this is new to me...

cyphyr

Simply so you dont have to re-calculate the population each time you re-load a scene, or make a non-terrain scene change.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

It would be nice, if only to edit out/in some areas. Or moving a plant which does not quite fit where the populator put it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Tangled-Universe

Perhaps the caching and export of population data as Richard requested go hand in hand.
The populator works by a particle system if I'm correct.
If so then I believe caching your particles automatically would mean you could also store the rotation etc. along.
But probably it's nonsense I'm saying and is it much more complicated :)

goldfarb

besides the efficiency of not have to regenerate the population (barring terrain changes) having access to the, I assume, points would allow goofing around with them in other applications and importing your own points to be used as populations...maybe manipulating some attributes...endless possibilities...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Matt

Quote from: goldfarb on December 09, 2010, 08:17:22 AM
besides the efficiency of not have to regenerate the population (barring terrain changes) having access to the, I assume, points would allow goofing around with them in other applications and importing your own points to be used as populations...maybe manipulating some attributes...endless possibilities...

That's the plan :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

neuspadrin

Quote from: njeneb on December 09, 2010, 03:04:55 AM
It would be nice, if only to edit out/in some areas. Or moving a plant which does not quite fit where the populator put it.

That would be great to be able to do. Currently really only the painted shader can help add/remove from areas and such but that can be somewhat iffy  on how well it works.

Eikers

I guess this is a matter of exchange formats as well. Storing populations made in TG2 for later use in TG2 is one thing, other apps are another thing entirely. As for my self I keep vegetation data in shape files and I gladly propose this as an exchange format candidate. :)

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Eikers on December 10, 2010, 12:32:04 PM
As for my self I keep vegetation data in shape files and I gladly propose this as an exchange format candidate. :)

what do you mean by that?
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

jo

Hi Eikers,

Quote from: Eikers on December 10, 2010, 12:32:04 PM
I guess this is a matter of exchange formats as well. Storing populations made in TG2 for later use in TG2 is one thing, other apps are another thing entirely. As for my self I keep vegetation data in shape files and I gladly propose this as an exchange format candidate. :)

I have done a couple of GIS papers at university. I have just been messing about with importing Shape files. Nothing in TG2 yet, but I'm interested to know about how you want to use Shape files in TG2. I'd like to hear from anyone else who wants to use them too. I might start another thread about this, but would be interested for any thoughts now.

Regards,

Jo