Another Contest...From Film?

Started by rcallicotte, November 24, 2008, 08:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueNZ

Thanks, I haven't got any need for them at the moment but I know where to ask when I do  ;)

bigben

The terrains are almost ready to go.  I won't release landsat images at native resolution for all of NZ as that would be too big, but if you ask me nicely I can make some available on request.  I'll be working on some supplementary files but if anyone wants them sooner I can post them online.

7 terrains, native SRTM3 resolution + 1 terrain for surrounding bathymetry, also at native resolution (1km)... just makes it to the coast of Australia.  Not exactly relevant to this.. more of an added bonus.

I'll do the UK as well for anyone thinking of doing Harry Potter (there are areas I want to do as well)

Or anyone for the Alps at 30m res...  The Sound of Music?   ;)

neon22

Dude!!
THis would be fantastic. I have started converting some - playing with Ruapehu - and its looking great in TG2 :)
I would love to have this.

Maybe we could pick out one or two terrain views used in LOTR and match the scenery :)

bigben

Give me a few hours to zip and upload the files.

http://www.bigben.id.au/terragen/files/terrains/nz/

TER files uploading. TGD to come

bigben

OK. Here's the TGD linking all 7 90m terrains with the largest bathymetry terrain.   [edit]  Fixing up a couple of errors  ;)   The set is centred on Mt Cook

Just one extra note about the bathymetric data. To compensate for the lack of resolution and resulting shallow water close to the coast, I've set the maximum altitude of the bathymetry data to -5m to guarantee a drop off along the coast.  The numbers in the filenames of the TERs are the width of the files in metres.

I'll post some other supplemetary files on my website when I officially release the terrain set.  If there are any problems just let me know.

lightning

you should get the dem's of where rohan was filmed its round methven on Mt. Potts Station i think
i rember going tramping round their a few years ago

bigben

To whoever downloaded the TGD.. possibly lightning ... there are a couple of errors I just found.  Fixing them now.

bigben

OK. Fixed now.  I cut it a little bit close on the east coast of the north island so I may have to update this later, but it's still replaced by a section of low res data.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

RogueNZ

Dude! Thanks so much, i cant wait to have a play over the holidays with these, i'm not really sure where to start with  ;D

Volker Harun

Thanks guys - an inspiring project. Hope that I will not get caught into other details - again ,-)

Ricowan

In case you're still looking for ideas.  The film Legends of the Fall had some epic panoramas of the Rockies.  You should be ablet o get some fairly high resolution DEMs for it.

neon22

Quote from: bigben on December 05, 2008, 05:10:24 PM
Give me a few hours to zip and upload the files.
http://www.bigben.id.au/terragen/files/terrains/nz/
TER files uploading. TGD to come
Brilliant - thanks BigBen but I can't seem to get anything out of 90_6 :-( tried a couple of downloads. Can open everything else but not that one

arisdemos

I have attempted opening bb_nz.tgd that Big Ben created for the LOTR competition but I am having trouble handeling it in the free beta version. Has anyone else tried this tgd in the free version of terragen 2 with this file and encountered problems in it locking up the program.

arisdemos

I would have to add that I like the previous post was unable to open the zipped up nz_90_6_368730 file.