Tropical island animation (excerpt from animation)

Started by narvik, November 25, 2008, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narvik

Here's an animation I'm working on (with HEAVY help from old_blaggard).

It's an excerpt from a longer fly-over.

To be included in a documentary film about Pitcairn Island.

Currently still rendering final image sequence. Total rendering time about ~4500 hrs.

http://fjordland.com/test5.mov

(~3mb)

nvseal

I'm loving the camera movement. Very nice looking stuff indeed.

cyphyr

Very Impressive indeed, love the camera movement and the ship wake too. How long is the final going to be, c'mon details please ;)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

chaps

Really nice, it is a shame that I got some scratches on my LCD.  ;D

Pascal.

narvik

Thanks for the comments.

Animation is 1560 frames total. Although originally planned for 25 fps (it's a PAL widescreen project, frame size is 1050x576), I am thinking of slowing it down by about 20%.

Test footage uploaded is slowed down. Final decision will be determined how it plays out with the narration. It will probably clock in at 45 to 55 seconds in the end is my guess.

Each frame is taking about 3 hours 14 minutes to render; with each frame having huge tree populations (although I could of removed some populations where there is no island visible of course, but final animation sequence is just running without taking that into consideration on two computers.)

Like I mentioned though, old_blaggard is the main one responsible for making this; I did the flyover in Campath in v0.9.

MacGyver

This is really great! :)
Can you give some details about the documentary? I remember to have talked about it in religious education, though I'm not quite sure what the reason was. At least 6 years have passed since then and my brain is like a sieve ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Insquall

Well its very good apart from the attempt to make it look like old film. The white specks seem quite forced and kind of detract from the animation. Colour film has a different sort of noise quality. (and people who can afford to fly helicopters usually have better quality film).

narvik

Quote from: Insquall on November 25, 2008, 03:03:56 PM
Well its very good apart from the attempt to make it look like old film. The white specks seem quite forced and kind of detract from the animation. Colour film has a different sort of noise quality. (and people who can afford to fly helicopters usually have better quality film).

Hehe, good comment, really.

There's some post processing done to the movie, and currently the "film look" is done with the crappy built-in plug-in of VEGAS Pro.
The final version has this look done in After Effects, and much more subtle too. Just a hint of grain, just a hint of dust, just a hint of flicker.

Uploaded version is half-resolution.

So, you and I think alike! :)

narvik

Quote from: MacGyver on November 25, 2008, 12:50:15 PM
This is really great! :)
Can you give some details about the documentary? I remember to have talked about it in religious education...

Thanks.
Here's a link: http://pitcairnstory.com

Your education might of been in regards to Pitcairners' long history of being predominantly Seventh Day Adventists.

rcallicotte

4500 hours!!!  Unbelievable.  This looks very nice, though.  Cool music.  And what's this movie going to be about?   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

It's good to see this finally coming together! Narvik and I have been working on this since 2007, trying to get things exactly right. Glad you guys like it :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Marcos Silveira

Ok, let's see if I understood: 1560 frames x 3 hours/frame = 4680 hours = 195 days = 6,5 months of uninterrupted render?!?!?!?

am I right???

narvik

6,5 months of uninterrupted render?

Yes, except that it's rendering on more than one computer.

Marcos Silveira