Inconsistant lighting

Started by buzzzzz1, November 25, 2008, 10:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzzzz1

Hi,

I'm running into a problem with inconsistent lighting between crops with the Beta. I recall this issue was fixed in previous alpha versions, however it seems to be back.  The scene I'm working on was giving me trouble trying to render full at 1580x988, hence the crop renders.  Just to note I didn't change anything with the tgd between crops. This sample is only 2 of 5 crops thus far and I've encountered the problem with every crop.  Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if Planetside has any ideas?

Thanks

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

freelancah

I'm having this problem with crops too. It shows most clearly with clouds and is quite a nuisance with high res works alltho the post work required to correct this is not that extensive. But still a problem that needs to be fixed

buzzzzz1

Quote from: freelancah on November 25, 2008, 10:26:43 AM
I'm having this problem with crops too. It shows most clearly with clouds and is quite a nuisance with high res works alltho the post work required to correct this is not that extensive. But still a problem that needs to be fixed

Yes you are correct, it can be easily adjusted with post work if you are only working with 2 crops. However, when you try to adjust numerous layers across the entire image to blend smoothly it tends to change the desired lighting effect for the whole scene.
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Mohawk20

To fix this, render with a higher GI Blur Radius, so the GI will be more consistent between crops.
You'll have to play with it to find the correct amount though...
Howgh!

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Mohawk20 on November 25, 2008, 11:01:59 AM
To fix this, render with a higher GI Blur Radius, so the GI will be more consistent between crops.
You'll have to play with it to find the correct amount though...

Thanks for the tip! I did consider that but I hate to think of the increased render time as I've already invested 80 plus hours.  Tg seems to becoming like an old car, you know when you fix one part another breaks.  ;)
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Mohawk20

Perhaps, but they do give you a new car once in a while  ;)

I know it's frustrating to have to render the crops all over again, but the Gi Blur won't increase rendertime, so atleast you know how long it's going to take...
Howgh!

bigben

I'm currently using a blur radius of 800 for an animation and it seems fine.  Must experiment more to see how low I can take it before it becomes noticeable. 

buzzzzz1

Quote from: bigben on November 25, 2008, 02:52:51 PM
I'm currently using a blur radius of 800 for an animation and it seems fine.  Must experiment more to see how low I can take it before it becomes noticeable. 

OMG! 800?  Never thought of going that high, will have to see what's needed for a still render. Thanks Ben
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

jo

Hi,

As far as I know the problems with GI and crops haven't been fixed, but the GI blur radius may help to mitigate it.

Regards,

Jo

buzzzzz1

Quote from: jo on November 25, 2008, 03:40:46 PM
Hi,

As far as I know the problems with GI and crops haven't been fixed, but the GI blur radius may help to mitigate it.

Regards,

Jo

Hmmm, that's interesting because with the last version I did many crop renders without any matching problems.  Guess I was just lucky. Thanks for chiming in Jo!
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

bigben

It depends largely on the distribution of exposure values.  In my high resolution panorama test using 10° tiles to construct a 360x180° panorama, most of the scene rendered without any problems. It was only where adjacent tiles had differing amounts of shadow detail (mainly looking towards the sun) that there were significant differences between images.

lonewolf

Was just trying out the TG Batch program by neon and reassembled the tiles in photoshop instead of using image magik.
Apart from the obvious lines where they overlap, it seems to be fine. Image magik did leave lines in the final stitching though.

Iain

neon22

Well if it works in Pshop but not in my imagemagick script then "I'm doin it wrong".
I will look into this..

[..Edited..]
Well it looks like Imagemagick is operating just fine. Pshop does show the same error. Its just harder to see with the overlaps drawn brighter. (see below image)
I think its all in the GI. I will experiment with large Blur radius to see if I can get it to go away.