Terraformed Mars WIP

Started by darthvader, December 08, 2008, 11:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

A little something I have been working on for the past week or so. It's a snapshot of the distant futre when mankind has gotten of its lazy butt and decided to do somethng productive with its time ;D I still don't think terragen is quite up to the task of creating starfields yet so that is going to be changed for sure.

Before you ask: the clouds are an image map, I may go back to fiddlng wth procedural clouds but I can never get them to look anywhere as good as nvseals :-[

As always comments and critiques are appreciated; after all, it's a WIP so have at it

Render Time: 2 hours 44 minutes
Detail:1
AA: 24 (to try and get the stars nicer looking)

[attachimg=#]

zionner

:O

Nice Job :P

You can tell the clouds are image mapped though :)

The planets surface is amazing! I never got the hang of making them as good as that :'(

Nice work man! :)

RogueNZ

I agree, this is awesome! Id like to see a bit more blue atmosphere maybe? But the surfacing is great and the clouds look perfect in my opinion.

Tangled-Universe

Cool planet man, love those landmass-shaders a lot. I don't mind the clouds are image-mapped. However, it makes me wonder how it will look when you use the image-map as a blendshader for real 3D volumetric clouds.
Spaceman made a very good remark, I also think that adding some atmosphere would greatly improve the image. The transition from unlit to lit could also be a bit bigger/softer.
Looks like a lot of complaints maybe but it's a really good image so far, great work!

Martin

rcallicotte

Very nice work.  I agree with everyone.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

darthvader

Here is a zoomed in shot. I think the coast line, and the desert/vegitation areas need more color varety. I'm happy with how the clouds are turning out but I will of course play with the image map more since that is pretty fun ;)

[attachthumb=#]

inkydigit

looks great...look forward to seeing more!

darthvader

Here's the next version. I'm thinking about decreasing the amount of large scale clouds in the southern hemisphere...something about there not being as much water down there makes it seem reasonable.

MacGyver

Quote from: darthvader on December 10, 2008, 01:07:14 PM
Here's the next version. I'm thinking about decreasing the amount of large scale clouds in the southern hemisphere...something about there not being as much water down there makes it seem reasonable.

Would never have thought about this... I'm curious on what's to come! ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Mahnmut

Hi Darthvader,
I really like the colors on your Mars.
How did you get that greenish shallow water? is that "real" transparency?
I tried that, but it didn´t work for me.
And I really know how hard planetary clouds are,
Thats why I  gave up on my Mars projekt.
Nvseals clouds are brilliant, but they hide to much when you want to show what planet it is.
You made my fingers itch to try it again, so don´t think I´m a copycat when (and if) I come up with a green Mars during the next days.
Best regards,
Jan

darthvader

Here's the next and possibly last version...at least for now. The shallow water is actually just a surface layer controlled by an image map...actually all of the water is just a surface layer group controlled by a custon made image map that i made in photoshop. I think the galaxy i put in the picture turned out well considering i only spent about ten minutes on it...so there is the my next project...a tg2 galaxy!

[attachthumb=#]

nvseal

Nice work darthvader. The continent shapes and the clouds look really good.

@ Mahnmut - Actually, if you want to see more of the planet all you need is another blend shader. Say you wanted to see more of the continents. You could take the continent shape shader and use it to restrict certain cloud layers so that there are more clouds over the oceans than not the land.

Mahnmut

@Darthvader:
The Galaxy is cool, but I also liked the moonlet, where did it go?
I would have liked to see it somewhat closer. Maybe i just missed it passing by, the little things are quite fast ;)
All in all a great view on a topic I love!

@nvseal: I will ask you again in my own thread.

Best Regards to all!
Jan

Oshyan

The galaxy is a bit much although it shows the dark edge of the planet well. But aside from that these are all really excellent. A great view of Mars in a terraformed state. Makes me think of Kim Stanely Robinson's Mars Trilogy...

- Oshyan

moodflow

Wow, this looks great!  Very nice work.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music