Looking up at the summit

Started by Saurav, December 10, 2008, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurav

Gotta love the painted shader.

Mohawk20

Extremely interesting snow!

Enlighten us, what did you do to it, and where do those shadows come from?
Howgh!

Saurav

Snow Effect:

Painted shader for placement.

Intersect underlying -> Displacement Intercetion (15) with small fuzzy zone values.
Smoothing Effect 1.

Not sure how there are the shadows on the snow, might be the something to do with the intersect underlying.

Here is the the tgc of the thick snow if anyone wants to play around with it. You will need to control it via a painted shader or other means.

RogueNZ

Ive had shadows like that appear aswell when using intersect underlying but could never understand why, but i really like the lighting here.

Esgalachoir

It looks incredibly cold...excellent work!

Tangled-Universe

Hi Saurav,

Glad to see some of your work again, has been a long time ago. Been busy?
I love the lighting of the snow in the shadows, cool GI. Literally :)

I think the terrain itself could be a bit more interesting with some variations on structures.
Thanks for sharing the clip of your snow.

It seems you're having quite some understanding about the parameters of the intersect underlying function.
By small fuzzy zone values you mean the fuzzy zone of slope-restrictions I guess?
Could you explain to me/us about these parameters and what they are doing.
Thanks in advance :)
Hope to see more of your work soon. At least, sooner than the last time...lol :p

Martin

old_blaggard

Wow, stunning work! The realism and detail is amazing! Is the terrain also the results of a painted shader or is it just a power/alpine fractal setup?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

This is stunning.  And you shared!!!  Hoorah!!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lightning

Saurav

Martin: I have been away on a mountaineering/adventure trip for the last few months and planning my trip a few months before that. So yeah been quite busy.

Regarding intersect underlying -> displacement intersection. I use it when I want to raise the height of that particular surface, for example ice on glaciers or other thick surfaces. The fuzzy zone values on this particular render was only changed on the effects tab for intersect underlying.

The other two methods to my understanding do the following.

Favour depression: Will fill in areas in the terrain that have a depression, good if you want to add surfaces/vegetation in natural depression in the terrain.

Favour rises: Will add to ridges and higher features of the terrain. I found this can be helpful if you want to add snow on ridges of mountains.

O_B: the terrain is a DEM of Mt. Rainier.

Thanks for comments and crits everyone.

Here is another example of using intersect underlying -> displacement intersection. Look at the attachment.

Volker Harun

Good, crisp and clean render. Like the technique to get the distribution, too ;)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Saurav on December 11, 2008, 08:38:48 PM
Martin: I have been away on a mountaineering/adventure trip for the last few months and planning my trip a few months before that. So yeah been quite busy.

Regarding intersect underlying -> displacement intersection. I use it when I want to raise the height of that particular surface, for example ice on glaciers or other thick surfaces. The fuzzy zone values on this particular render was only changed on the effects tab for intersect underlying.

The other two methods to my understanding do the following.

Favour depression: Will fill in areas in the terrain that have a depression, good if you want to add surfaces/vegetation in natural depression in the terrain.

Favour rises: Will add to ridges and higher features of the terrain. I found this can be helpful if you want to add snow on ridges of mountains.

O_B: the terrain is a DEM of Mt. Rainier.

Thanks for comments and crits everyone.

Here is another example of using intersect underlying -> displacement intersection. Look at the attachment.

Thanks for your explanation so far Saurav.

However, I already know what the different types of intersect underlying mean.
I wasn't clear about what I meant, sorry, but I thought you might have a good idea about the settings below the type of intersect underlying:

- intersection zone
- max intersection shift
- min intersection shift

(straight from my head so I might be mistaken in names, but you know what I mean ;))

Do you have an idea?

Martin

domdib

I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to use the painted shader in this instance. Would anyone be kind enough to spell it out for me? (e.g. - where does it go in the node network? are there any special boxes that need to be ticked to give the painted shader control of the snow?)

Thanks for any pointers  :)

Saurav

Hey Martin sorry for the late reply but to my understanding the min and max shifts work like displacements value from normals, ie min is the minimal displacement and max is the max displacement from the terrrain. Intersection zone is the difference between the terrain and the start of the underlying displacement surface.

domdib: you need to connect the painted shader to the blendeing shader input of the surface shader.

Inside the 'surface shader' -> 'coverage and breakup' tab, you need to make sure the blend by shader is assigned to a painted shader and the blend as coverage check box is ticked. This will happen automatically if you join the painted shader to the blending shader input (surface shader) via the node network.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Saurav on December 18, 2008, 06:02:16 PM
Hey Martin sorry for the late reply but to my understanding the min and max shifts work like displacements value from normals, ie min is the minimal displacement and max is the max displacement from the terrrain. Intersection zone is the difference between the terrain and the start of the underlying displacement surface.

domdib: you need to connect the painted shader to the blendeing shader input of the surface shader.

Inside the 'surface shader' -> 'coverage and breakup' tab, you need to make sure the blend by shader is assigned to a painted shader and the blend as coverage check box is ticked. This will happen automatically if you join the painted shader to the blending shader input (surface shader) via the node network.

No problem at all Saurav, thanks for the reply and explanation.
Looking at your image and example it makes sense since you've used 10 and 10 as displacement-values which should result in a uniform displaced snowlayer. Which is.
I'll get back to the drawing table ;)
Thanks!