Splash - next and last shot for now

Started by FrankB, December 12, 2008, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

just a WIP, again. Rendered in 0.5 quality.
Obvisouly I'm attempting to make the water look like the waves splash against the rock, but I'm not sure what would be the best way of doing it. I tried (not in this image) to use a cloud layer for splashes, but it doesn't look convincing. Any idea, anyone?

Thanks,
Frank

[attachimg=#]

Tangled-Universe

Wow man, very cool work! I find this quite convincing already!

Is it a waterplane or a powerfractal with adjusted coastline and a watershader applied to it?
Could be a camera-trick but it seems like the water is really flowing downwards, therefore the thoughts.
At the moment I don't have any suggestions, sorry. Will think about it too.

Martin

Volker Harun

Well, I think for a convincing image you could use a gaussian blur with its maximum depending on the displacement (wave roughness) and close at the intersection of water and landmasses.
I guess that you need this 'long exposure'-gimmick.

Else, you achieved a very good start!

Volker

rcallicotte

Except for the sparkles on the upper left, I think it looks convincing.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: calico on December 12, 2008, 07:46:29 AM

these are just AA blooming reflections, I think they are adding to realism, no?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: FrankB on December 12, 2008, 08:09:34 AM
Quote from: calico on December 12, 2008, 07:46:29 AM

these are just AA blooming reflections, I think they are adding to realism, no?

I agree, you could think of them ass single droplets highlighting in the sun. I'd keep 'm.

FrankB

in this attempt (higher quality this time), I tried letting the water climb up the surface. Not entirely successful. Took a few hours to render this one - maybe because I was playing NFS: Undercover in parallel :D

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

This does look even better.

Consider a tutorial or some instruction to head us in that direction?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: calico on December 13, 2008, 07:26:07 AM
This does look even better.

Consider a tutorial or some instruction to head us in that direction?

maybe later, still have to perfect the technical aspects of the method. It works well (somewhat) because we only see a small area. On a greater scale it's less interesting.
But I'm working on a similar scene with a wider view, see how that turns out.

Regards,
Frank

moodflow

This is fantastic research Frank!  I can't wait to see more.

One recommendation for the foam in the water is to use a PF shader with perlin billows, but inversed using the complement node.  That way, you get those stringy cells that stirred up ocean water tends to have.

I did some similar research a while back on this image if you want to take a look, though its now out of date:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4113.0
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dandelO

I'd say to add the recent 'clouds follow terrain' technique on the water surface with a 'poor' quality cloud layer to break it up and make it look not like a cloud but a spray. Low sample levels and pure white cloud colour with a tiny scale density fractal should do it. Don't use the acceleration cache for the poor clouds for obvious reasons. :)

This is good though, I have my own foamy water recipe which isn't quite ready yet... lots on at the minute though, I'll hopefully get back to it soon.

FrankB

and here's a final attempt (for now). I'll have to move on to another scene.
This last shot is different from the last one through some additional displacement of the water near the shore. I think it makes the whole thing look a little more realistic. Also, there's a very small 3d cloud emulating some spray. I can't make it look entirely convincing up so close, hence the cloud bits are just a few and not so prominent.

Thanks for following my little journey here.

Frank

[attachimg=#]

moodflow

Well I think you've made some great progress on this technique. 
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankB

Thank you.
The scene was fun, although not entirely satisfactory. Reminds me a bit of the old TG times, when people came up with the weirdest "hacks" to somehow resemble scenes TG wasn't build for in the first place.
At a later stage, when (if) TG2 or 3 has a plugin for fluid simulation, and a particle system of some sort, scenes like this will be much easier to do and most importantly, more realistic.
With more effort, I'm sure I could have even driven this further, but not much, I reckon.

Anyway... on to the next image :-)

Cheers
Frank

MacGyver

Looks a bit like a hot spring for me:

You made good progress! Anyway, TG3? Won't be out before christmas I would guess ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine