Forest Valley

Started by moodflow, December 13, 2008, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Stats:
Res:  1024x768
Render time:  65+ hours on a quad core 2.4GHz with 3.25GB of RAM (windows XP)
Quality: 1.0
AA: 10 (corrected as I had stated GI: 10)  ;D
Post work:  very minor contrast/color correction, very minor selective sharpening/blurring all in Photoshop.  A 100% TG2 render.

This image took quite some time to create and render.  I spent a few weeks of off and on dialing in the scene file, and then had to render the final in quarter sections at about 18 hours per section.  My PC is also unstable at times and will blue screen after hours of rendering at the worst time (like when a render is 90% completed).  A real bummer.  To top it off, I realized there was a flaw in the grass models I was using, so I had to replace the bottom section with new grass, requiring more rendering and more time out.  This image would have been done a week ago or more.  If I had a dedicated render server, it would have likely rendered in about 30 hours.

But, the good news is, the image is nearly exactly what I was aiming for!  I wanted to feature some backlit trees, a new mountain and rocks technique, as well as a dialed in version of the GI lighting technique I've been working on for a while now which gives a misty ambience to the scene.  I think it came out nicely.  Still a few more things to dial in, but I am very satisfied with the result.  My overall goal for my images is realism, with still a ways to go, but getting there.

For the scene elements:
The terrain is a standard TG2 power fractal with a few tweaks I've been developing.  I plan on doing future tutorials on some of these techniques.

The surfacing is a mix of custom micro displacements, with stacked power fractals and reflective shaders dialed in just right.  The rocks feature a blend of one custom image map for color variation, and power fractals for a unique look.

The pine trees were created in Onyx tree, and the grass is a modified version of lighting's long grass.  I had to use an additional compute normal (separate from the surfacing chain) to keep the grass matching the slope on the rocks.  I didn't think this would even work, but it did!  If I had kept this additional compute normal in the surfacing chain, it degraded the look of the rocks.

The lighting and atmosphere is the GI technique I've been dialing in.  I've found its very unpredictable, giving great results one time, and marginal results the next.  It seems to work well on this image.

Many thanks for looking and for all your inspiration.  Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

lonewolf

Absolutely Amazing! Awesome rocks and trees. Lighting / atmosphere is perfect.

Iain

PorcupineFloyd

Very natural looking and with great sense of depth :)

But... GI 10?!

Are there any real benefits of using such high GI?

lightning

this is awesome!!!!
so natural i can almost touch the moisture in the air!
do you mean AA 10 instead of Gi 10?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: lonewolf on December 13, 2008, 01:43:32 AM
Absolutely Amazing! Awesome rocks and trees. Lighting / atmosphere is perfect.

Iain

Absolutely, this is really beautiful work man!

MacGyver

Quote from: PorcupineFloyd on December 13, 2008, 02:36:29 AM
Very natural looking and with great sense of depth :)

But... GI 10?!

Are there any real benefits of using such high GI?

That would be my question then as well.

I really like your image, especially the part with the trees in the fog... :)
It's very much aimed for realism as you said, which makes the lighting a bit cold for my taste but therefore there's Photoshop ;D

Now that you have fine-tuned everything, will there be a higher-res version? I know this question s*cks after some time but thank God it's christmas, so you can make us all a nice gift!
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

old_blaggard

Fantastic image! This should show up on IotW.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

mhaze

Stunning, superb atmosphere and the trees are something else. wow!!!

rcallicotte

As I said on Renderosity, this is near perfection.  Excellent artwork.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Whoops!  Sorry guys, I DID mean AA: 10   GI of 10 would be overkill (I've tried it on another image a long time ago just to see).   ;D  I've corrected the original post.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

MacGyver

Quote from: moodflow on December 13, 2008, 09:07:57 AM
Whoops!  Sorry guys, I DID mean AA: 10   GI of 10 would be overkill (I've tried it on another image a long time ago just to see).   ;D  I've corrected the original post.

Oh, a pity. Thought I'd finally see an image with a GI over 4 ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

inkydigit

awesome work...love the atmo control, and the trees look perfect, as do the rocks!!!

rcallicotte

I'm glad to hear this.

Quote from: moodflow on December 13, 2008, 01:10:39 AM
I plan on doing future tutorials on some of these techniques.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

This is just fantastic. The rock surface is one of the best I've seen. The forest has a perfectly dreamy air to it. Top class and definately THE image of the week.

This GI technique, it involves making the background-sphere object luminous and using ambient occlusion lighting, is this right?

Volker Harun

Fantastic work - a stunner!