Beyond Boulder Reef

Started by schmeerlap, December 13, 2008, 10:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

A big thankyou to Lightning for his excellent Common Spruce which populates the far shore. I did a separate crop render for the near water at the bottom of the pic (smoother water with more transparency) and blended it in post Terragen. I used huge Fake Stones on the higher reaches of the mountains to try and break up their excessive smoothness.
John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

zionner

Well, The mountians look great, and the clouds are amazing, but personally I think the rocks at the front, look a bit, procedural.

But, still a nice picture :)

rcallicotte

I agree with zionner about the mountains and clouds.  The rocks in the foreground might look better just being one or two instead of a group.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

arisdemos

Beautiful background, but the rocks are a little too uniform and look rather like deep canyon riverine boulders with lots of moss growing from being in a shadowy forest environment. Openly exposed lakeside gravel and boulders are usually quite bare and weathered/sun bleached.

The rocks showing up under the transparency of your lake shore would add depth and more realism to this already stunning scene. I really like the color and lighting of the background along with your sky it is super realistic looking.

arisdemos

I am sorry I looked at your picture without noting the title included "sea,"  and assumed that a lake was being portrayed. I do believe that this image would work great as a lake, but could be from the Pacific NW coastal region where I live. I think that the rocky shores along the puget sound area and further north into BC would show coverings of seaside flora and fauna as you have presented. I still think (like the two previous posters) that your foreground needs a lot more more work.  Moodflow's coastal rock formation image is in my opinion the best coastal rock texturing job I have seen so far, and would be of great benefit to anyone attempting TG2 seaside rock structures.

schmeerlap

Thanks for your considered opinions and thoughts. And I agree, more thought should have gone into the actual nature of seaside rocks.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.