Question about the LHC

Started by Question, December 13, 2008, 12:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question

Hi I have a question about the LHC?

They are firing hydron nuclis at each other to create the big bang, to find out about life and the universe around us. This will work, I mean all the maths are there the system is usable and workable. It will be the hight of human experiments.

Right to the question.

If/when they make the big bang happen they say that nothing dangerous will happen, as they intend to turn it off after the collision so everything will disapear.
This is only going to take a second then it will vanish.

So..... Given that we dont realy know the full concept of time and space. A second in our time could be a billion years on the scale that the LHC takes to fire and shut down.

What will happen to the life forms that MIGHT be created by this experiments. I mean if after 0.0001 second of the big bang, life might be already happening in the experiment.

Could the machine create life and then take it away ?

When it is switched off what happens to the life ?

would it be mass murder on a scale we cannot understand ?

Dont get me wrong, I think the LHC is awsome. It will unlock alot of things that can and probably will aid us to the next stage of evolution, but at what cost I ask ?

PG

The LHC tests are done by firing two hydrogen neutrons round a ring, you're right but they don't turn the machine of a second after colliding the neutrons. That's just how long the effects last, roughly. All that will be created are the very first particles that exist after the kind of explosion they are creating. No life. The particles, such as the Higgs Boson, can only exist for a few fractions of a second and then degrade into lesser particles.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

matrix2003

Collisions like this happen in nature and no big bang occurs.  Or as some have suggested an out of control black hole will result, that also is a very far fetched and is more science fiction than reality.  I have never read anything about life forms being created, a lot of this kind of talk is just not supported.  The experiments are merely meant to create collisions in a controlled environment, where they can record data to prove or dis-prove many basic theory's of physics.  The results of this work (if successful), will go a long way to test a lot of Einsteins work, Steven Hawking stuff.  A lot of boring math and data, and probable not much drama.

... -but a black hole with aliens steaming through!  Now that would be so cool! ;D
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

PG

I'll be there with my gravity gun and a crowbar ;D But yeah the "black holes" lose their energy right after they're created. The only way they can actually gain power is if there were multiple collisions happening in the same position (i.e. wherever the black holes are) at different times but these are all at the same time.

Question

I know the black hole thing is far fetched.
I was just wondering that, they say that it will show mass amounts of new types of data,
atoms, photons, proteen blah blah blah.  So why would it be soo far fetched to think that in all this new particles that will spread out, something as small as that could be a habital planet.

Its sounds mad yeah, but.... if you was to zoom out from this planet, out of the galaxy, universe and so on. we would look like an experiment in box. !!!
I am not saying anything as fact, because who can when it comes to science.
Just thought that if you was to be able to zoom in right to the point that you could see in.
What would you see? would you see another universe expanding ? then why would it be wrong to think that nature would find a way to live.

it was just a stoners thought ha ha ha
:o)

Question

I have just been told they are not actualy re-creating the big bang.
Forget the whole lot what I said
ha ha ha
too much conbustables can fry the brain. :)

Cyber-Angel

No one that I know of has discovered lifeforms at the kind of scales we're talking about here, that dose not preclude that they don't exist but the current definition Humanity uses for life, is in my view to narrow and so we are probably not looking for such entities should they exist at some scale that we are at this time unable to detect.

The type of singularities (Black-Holes in layman's terms) talked about here suffer from denominational stability due to their small relativistic dimensions defined in 6 dimensional curvilinear Space-Time, relatively [sic] static rotational velocity and weak gravitational force, means that they cannot in the short time frame of there existence draw in sufficient mass to grow large enough to pose a significant threat.

That's my understanding of the subject, any or all of it could be/ is wrong it is what I understand to to the case if not so be it and I bow to wiser heads then I, take it as read people weather its right, wrong of indifferent is not for me to say and if it comes to a debate on theoretical ethics then that's ground I can cover till the cows come home, turned to dust and their bones have long bleached white. If in doubt always fall back on the Pauli exclusion principle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

This basically sates that "No two identical fermions can occupy the same space simultaneously" or to use the most famous corruption of that principle "Two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time" in other words if two or more Black-Holes formed in the same region of space at the same time they could not exist for more then fractions of a second before evaporating as they would not be able to exist in our plane of reference for more than this.

;D

Sorry if I've gone over ground already covered by others just sticking my two bits worth in.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                            

PG

Well the experiments that they will be running won't generate enough energy to last long enough for any forms of life to develop. Remember that it took billions of years for life to emerge on this planet and that was only because of a massive string of freak chances. The only thing that you would get from these experiments is a lot of particles that haven't existed since the original big bang. These consist of such high unsustainable energy that they kinda "dissolve" and turn into many other types of particles.
You're right CA, a black hole is normally created when a star loses so much heat when dying that it can't maintain its structure and it collapses on itself. So, like I said, you'd need to keep pumping energy in from very high density collisions at that exact point to feed enough energy into them, otherwise they just irradiate all their energy away and fizzle.

matrix2003

Quote from: Question on December 13, 2008, 06:57:47 PM

Its sounds mad yeah, but.... if you was to zoom out from this planet, out of the galaxy, universe and so on. we would look like an experiment in box. !!!
it was just a stoners thought ha ha ha
:o)

No problem.  The universe is a fractal.  If you zoom in or out, you still have a fractal.  That being said, Terragen is based on the same concepts.
So therefore:  Terragen explains the universe.  Shall we move on to religion?  Oh wait -  Lets not.  I would personally prefer the combustibles.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Question

Oh man dont get me going on religion, thats the biggiest distraction, most distructive and the most ignorant singular force on this planet. 
Why in the world do we look to a higher being for forgiveness. (that obviously isnt there)
In stead we should be looking at each other for forgiveness.
Religion is blind.

I would rather the combustibles make me blind then belive in something thats so......

Pass the dutchy I need to chill  ;)

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Question on December 13, 2008, 09:01:45 PM

Oh man dont get me going on religion, thats the biggiest distraction, most distructive and the most ignorant singular force on this planet. 
Why in the world do we look to a higher being for forgiveness. (that obviously isnt there)
In stead we should be looking at each other for forgiveness.
Religion is blind.

I would rather the combustibles make me blind then belive in something thats so......

Pass the dutchy I need to chill  ;)

First up its "Pass the Dutch not Duchy" as a philosopher with an interest theoretical theological philosophy, I shall say this. If some thing cannot be seen it dose not mean that it dose not exist for that precludes that the indivisible must by its nature be impossible, when in fact this is clearly not the case: for example you cannot see the vacuum inside a vacuum chamber yet you acknowledge at the metaphysical level that it exists to do other wise would be to acknowledge a false premise of non-existence.

There is the notion among many that what cannot be seen must not be, this view is fourteenth century thinking at best and can in no way be supported by any rational argument based on modern scientific data examples been the sub-atomic and quantum scales that cannot be scene by the unaided eye yet are there.

Why do people seek forgiveness form some higher power, its called faith; faith is what gets people though hard times it is some thing which they hold onto when there seems like nothing else will help, more over the nature of faith is a complex one and should not be derided by those that don't have it and entire libraries have been written on the nature of faith and its meaning which has changed over time, and more over will continue to change there is no one size fits all for all people; where faith is concerned.

I will acknowledge that religion has been the coarse of great harm over the centuries it also has been a force for great change and advancement also, throughout history and while its influence has diminished greatly in this century it continues to be so. Humans, look for evidence of all things and if non can be found then they claim it must either not exist or must be impossible: there must surly be things in the universe divisible or not that are greater then our own hubris.  ;D (Sorry for Thread Hijacking)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                             

Question

(Hijack away  :) its all good)

Its a free world, free speach and free minds. that is the real beauty of life, I dont disagree with you, religion does give people hope in their darkest times.
But.....
Religion does restrain from fredom of speach, if anything that is said that could scientificly discredit religion, then it is deamed heresy, ocult and even demonic.
Can I say
People naturaly do bad things, its in our nature to make mistakes.  When we realise what has happend because of our mistakes, we turn to religion to repent, God will take our sins.
Look to the sky and ask for forgiveness, because we are looking up we dont see the mess thats left from our mistakes. (religion is blind)
Thats why I suggested that we should be asking for forgiveness from each other, for the mistake we have made.
Only we can forgive each other for the mistakes.

I am not saying any of this to cause arguements, just offering my opinion.
I think we all are our guardians of days.
Whats the meaning of life = save life.
How do you save life = teach life to save itself. (Thats why we have science)
:)