more snow

Started by Kevin F, December 17, 2008, 01:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's a newish one. Still playing with snowscapes but this time mixing my stuff with Saurav's underlying displacement method.
Comments welcome.

rcallicotte

...with Jeep tracks.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kevin F

and more:
I like this one much better.

rcallicotte

Very cool, Kevin.  Great displacements.

Oshyan

Ooo, 2nd one is looking pretty cool.

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

Agree with Oshyan ... maybe some reflections could add to realism.

Esgalachoir

Saurav

The 2nd render is looking really good.

Kevin F

Thanks for all the comments folks.
Here's a newer version with a touch of grass and a few stones.

@Volker where would you apply any reflections?
"... maybe some reflections could add to realism"

rcallicotte

Grass needs some distributing.  Still love the snow.

Kevin F

Quote from: calico on December 19, 2008, 09:44:29 AM
Grass needs some distributing.  Still love the snow.

Explain please.
The sparseness of the grass was deliberate.

rcallicotte

Not that I know it all about this sort of thing, since I'm still learning this, but what about placing your grass clumps a little more thicker and use a Paint Shader for placement?  Then you can strategically place your grass in places that are more sparse.

Kevin F

Quote from: calico on December 19, 2008, 10:37:58 AM
Not that I know it all about this sort of thing, since I'm still learning this, but what about placing your grass clumps a little more thicker and use a Paint Shader for placement?  Then you can strategically place your grass in places that are more sparse.

I've controlled placement by using a distribution shader as the density shader. This gives you control of placement by the usual hight and slope method. I'm not that sure about using the painter shader, but I'll read up about it and give it a go. Where would you suggest for more/less grass - on flatter areas or in gullies?

Volker Harun

Well, snowcrystals are reflective. On a snowscape, with the sun shining, you have molten snow, frozen again and so on.
Images of white snow should show an overcast sky, at a sunny day, the snow reflects the blue sky.

I do not know how many surface-shaders you use, if one, just add a 'reflective shader" as a child. Take care to keep the reflection softness at zero, else the rendertime is exploding..
With more than one snow-shader, the reflective shader should be the first child.

Volker

Marcos Silveira

The last one reminds me an image I made months ago...

[attachthumb=#]