Capitol Reef

Started by choronr, December 19, 2008, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

This scene was created in the new Terragen 2 Beta. I used the new Extra tab in Rendering and changed the pixel filter to 'Cubic B-Spline (soft)'; and, selected the Anti-aliasing bloom with Detail blending set at 0.04375. This helps a lot in distant scenes where the vegetation looks a little more real.

rcallicotte

Very good.  Like the terrain in the distance and its color, too.  The rocks in the foreground don't do much for me.  Maybe they could be distributed differently?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

schmeerlap

Nice earthy-surfaced scene, Bob. My problem with the rocks on the lowland is that too many of them look like mini pyramids.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

choronr

Thanks guys for your comments and crits. I agree about what appears to be fake stones in the foreground. Actually, they are not the fake stones shader; rather, they are the result of displacement of the main terrain. A lower displacement setting would probably have made them smaller and less of them. Also, I am not too happy about the appearance of the trees; and, the scene probably would have looked better without them.

rcallicotte

The trees could be a unifying factor to the whole image.  Just needs more of the same, in my opinion.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

Thanks calico; notably, the few distant trees that contrast with the distant terrain seem more saturated with darker foliage. This was one of the reasons I didn't go for a higher population. I would have tried the painter shader to restrict the trees to appear only in the foreground; but, the settings in the distribution shader for the trees still don't give you what you are looking for as far as placement - don't ever think I'll understand the use of the distribution shader when using it for plant populations ...the logical settings just never give you what you are looking for.