Sharktooth Ridge

Started by zhotfire, December 21, 2008, 02:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhotfire

Here's another fairly simple one, but I like the way the sharp peak seems to part the clouds and the way the cirrus layer compliments the "grain" of the image. One thing I don't like is the rays are at about the same angle as the strata, but I didn't want to lose the terrain features or change the way the clouds are lit... so here we are. ;) Slight brightness/contrast adjustment and the jpg compression caused some subtle changes to the clouds. I could have added some objects to spice it up but decided to keep it simple. Detail 0.8 AA 10 GI 3/3
Crits/comments welcome as usual. Thanks! :)

RogueNZ

Great mood :D with a bit of work on the surfacing, a bit more fractal roughness and displacement would make this even more spectacular

rcallicotte

Nice work all around.  I like it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

schmeerlap

See what you mean with the rays; they do appear to harsh. Not sure how to soften their effect other than slight alteration of sun altitude or cloud position. Displacement work shows promise.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

efflux

I really like the mood but I think you have too much movement in one direction with all the light rays and rock strata all going the same way. A different POV might have been more successful.

zhotfire

The more I look at it the more I agree there is too much going in one direction. I might as well have tilted the entire image...  ::) I definately need to explore more displacement functions, sometimes my brain reverts to 0.9 and forgets there is so much more. ;) I'm in the middle of model building right now, but I should have some time in the new year to do some more TG2 exploring. :)