16 shaders limit frustrated

Started by lightning, December 22, 2008, 12:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

I have a ton of models that i have created/collected that i would love to use in terragen 2 but most of them have about 60 textures each assigned to them so i can't import the into terragen 2 because it has a ridiculously small limit of 16 shaders per model ::)

when will terragen be able to assign an infinite number of shaders to a 3d model?
because its getting really annoying >:(
or is their a cheat method of importing 3d models with more than 16 shaders into terragen 2?

Oshyan

The only way around it is to split the model into multiple pieces. This limitation should be addressed after the TG2 "gold" release.

- Oshyan

Mandrake

I could see where this would be more frustrating with your plant models because you want to use them for populations.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2008, 01:07:44 AM
The only way around it is to split the model into multiple pieces. This limitation should be addressed after the TG2 "gold" release.

- Oshyan

Seems to me that the limit of 16 textures per model should be lifted in the final "gold" release. Or are we going to have to pay more for the updates after the "gold " release to get a complete program with minimum bugs? Perhaps you should be calling it "electro plated" instead.

Last year Matt made the announcement : Terragen 2 Deep Edition will be released on the 15th of February, 2008. Now here 10 months later and no final release yet and you are telling us that the "gold" release still won't address the limit on textures? Some may think badly of me for saying this, but this is getting ridiculous. I have models that have 60 textures. Can it really be that difficult to fix this issue for us?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

zionner

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on December 22, 2008, 09:39:13 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on December 22, 2008, 01:07:44 AM

- Oshyan

Seems to me that the limit of 16 textures per model should be lifted in the final "gold" release. Or are we going to have to pay more for the updates after the "gold " release to get a complete program with minimum bugs? Perhaps you should be calling it "electro plated" instead.

Last year Matt made the announcement : Terragen 2 Deep Edition will be released on the 15th of February, 2008. Now here 10 months later and no final release yet and you are telling us that the "gold" release still won't address the limit on textures? Some may think badly of me for saying this, but this is getting ridiculous. I have models that have 60 textures. Can it really be that difficult to fix this issue for us?

Sadly, I have to agree with Buzz, I payed for TG 2 In November of last year, thinking we would see *great increases of speed*, only a few bugs, and having a few more of the basic features which should of been out at that point in the first place!

Now, I know you guys have done great work with TG 2, but me and a friend made a very small cut down OS for a project, in half the time it took you guys to fix a few bugs, and bring in a new basic feature!

cyphyr

I do understand your frustration but I don't think your being entirely fair. I think they could fix the 16 shader limit if they wanted, its just not seen as a major issue. After all Terragen is supposed to be used in conjunction with other apps. If you want the great shader support you can get through Max, Maya, XSI, Lightwave etc then use those packages and learn some compositing skills. I would personally be more interested in better overall shader integration, as in proper transparency and the ability to mask the specular channel for example. There is an issue with Poser exported models in that they come out with an inordinate number of texture channels, often mostly pointing to the same image map. This, although annoying, can be easily fixed and simplified (do I really need a separate channel for the tongue and the inside of the mouth that cant be seen on a model that fills only a few hundred pixels of an image?)

Texture layers would be usefull (using one channel with several UV maps)
Masking of the specular channel (and separately any other missed channels)
Grey scale transparency
Light and/or camera incidence angle (think it can be done through functions ...)

Just my groats worth :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

buzzzzz1

Quote from: cyphyr on December 22, 2008, 11:58:21 AM
I do understand your frustration but I don't think your being entirely fair. I think they could fix the 16 shader limit if they wanted, its just not seen as a major issue. After all Terragen is supposed to be used in conjunction with other apps. If you want the great shader support you can get through Max, Maya, XSI, Lightwave etc then use those packages and learn some compositing skills. I would personally be more interested in better overall shader integration, as in proper transparency and the ability to mask the specular channel for example. There is an issue with Poser exported models in that they come out with an inordinate number of texture channels, often mostly pointing to the same image map. This, although annoying, can be easily fixed and simplified (do I really need a separate channel for the tongue and the inside of the mouth that cant be seen on a model that fills only a few hundred pixels of an image?)

Texture layers would be usefull (using one channel with several UV maps)
Masking of the specular channel (and separately any other missed channels)
Grey scale transparency
Light and/or camera incidence angle (think it can be done through functions ...)

Just my groats worth :)

Richard

Thanks for your incite but I'm not that handy.  I guess I was under the impression that TG would be a do it all program that I could create a single static image with. Apparently the Hobbyist isn't the main target of planetside. And I do think Planetside would sell more licenses if it were. But that's their business.   
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

cyphyr

Well it was mentioned on the website when it was first put forward (a loong time back I know ;)) that Terragen was intended ... well readthe quote from the site...

Quote from: Planetside WebsitePlease note that the Technology Preview release is aimed mainly at high end users. It has a powerful and flexible graphical node/graph editor which is used for creating networks of shaders and scene elements. The Technology Preview features a number of high level shaders which create more complex scene elements, such as clouds or rocks, as well as a low level function node system which allows you to create shaders from "first principles", using functions and methods that will be familiar to shader writers. The node editor can be used to unlock the full power of the TG2 rendering engine.

I don't think any piece of software should ever be considered as a complete solution, theres always something that the next package dose better or more conveniently.
What may be useful at some time in the hopefully not to distant future is a section on the forum dedicated to "Using Terragen with other Apps", that way we could all learn the tricks of the trade from each other.

More groats

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

lightning

Yeah i know planetside is a very small company but things do seem to be taking very long time to progress :(
the rendering speeds i have to admit are just a joke. 60-100 hours for a render is just not practical plus my power bill is going through the roof because im leaving my computer on for so long :-\
I could create multisub objects in max for models more than 16 textures but it is just not practical i should be able to export a model in dazstudio then import it directly into terragen 2 like i can do with all my other software

QuoteI don't think any piece of software should ever be considered as a complete solution

I think Carrara 7 is nearly a complete solution ;D

cyphyr

Quote from: lightning on December 22, 2008, 03:26:45 PM

Hmm, nearly, but it's got quite a way to go ...

;)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

rcallicotte

I was thinking the same thing today, but the rendering quality isn't anywhere near as close.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JimB

Yeah i know planetside is a very small company

I think few remember exactly how small it is, and how small the license fee is.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

zionner

I do think its true, that there are higher priority things that need to be included before the Shader Limit is worked on, but I personally find it frustrating that most of these higher priority features are basic stuff, that should of been included in Terragen 2 a long time ago.

Oshyan

The 16 texture limited will be addressed in a free update. Only major versions will require an upgrade fee (i.e. Terragen 3), all other updates will be provided free of charge to registered users.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks for telling us this for the millionth time.  I'm sure this must seem a trial sometimes, just saying the same old shtuff over and over again. 

Quote from: Oshyan on December 23, 2008, 05:42:38 PM
The 16 texture limited will be addressed in a free update. Only major versions will require an upgrade fee (i.e. Terragen 3), all other updates will be provided free of charge to registered users.

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?