Glacier Valley

Started by Saurav, December 23, 2008, 06:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurav

A new one I've been working for the last few days.

Tree model is a freebie by floraworks. Thanks lightning!   ;D

Render time: 3.5 hours on a 3ghz Quadcore.
AA: 8
GI: 1/1

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

GioMez

rcallicotte

Good job.  I agree with everyone ^^.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sjefen

:o Thats really awesome.
Is the terrain made with Terragen?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

schmeerlap

Yep, a quality scene; love the deployment of those smaller trees, and excellent terrain construction.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Volker Harun

Well, at first glance, it did not really touch me, but on second and third view (yes, it daws my attention) I am amazed by the quality of details.
Chapeau! :-D

arisdemos

Beautiful image, and could you perhaps provide, the intimite details (shaders, and terrrain info) of what makes this file technically tic so well in TG2? 

efflux

Excellent. This image really demonstrates the things that TG2 does better than other landscape apps.

Saurav

sjefen: Terrain is a DEM of the Tetons range, fractal details and displacements were added to the terrain in TG. I added a small flow amount (.06) to the terrain in the fractal detail tab for hightfield node. I think this adds to the realism to mountainous terrain.

Other displacement include small strata and outcrops setting and few fake stone shaders that were added down the chain.

arisdemos: The Glacier was controlled with a painted shader, so was the vegetation distribution and the rocks in the foreground and the mid ground.

The shaders are rather simple in this scene, the rocks (mountains) and the grass in the background are a mix of image maps and procedurals. Fake stones textures are image maps.

Scree you can see in the channels coming down the mountains, intersect underlying -> favour depressions.

FrankB

Oh wow! This is brilliant!
I'm really impressed!

Cheers,
Frank

nvseal

:o Wow, another fantastic one Saurav. If I saw this else where, I'd believe it to be a photo. Image of the week for sure.

MacGyver

Congratulations! Awesome picture :o
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid here but many of these photorealistic high-detail TG2 pics don't feature clouds. That's one mysterious thing that occured to me while looking at this picture. At the moment I'm not quite sure if this just correlates or if this is directly linked together. Suggestions?
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

FrankB

Quote from: MacGyver on December 24, 2008, 10:30:47 AM
Congratulations! Awesome picture :o
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid here but many of these photorealistic high-detail TG2 pics don't feature clouds. That's one mysterious thing that occured to me while looking at this picture. At the moment I'm not quite sure if this just correlates or if this is directly linked together. Suggestions?

true observation - realistic clouds are a difficult discipline, still. Well, depending on the type of clouds. It's easier to leave the sky empty, and rely on TG2 doing a great job on rendering the ground. That being said, having clouds also has an influence of the lighting of the terrain, of course. Then additionally, you generally have to decide whether you choose an exposure optimzed for the sky or for the terrain. If you choose a compromise between the two exposures, neither the sky or the ground will stand out to its greatest potential. Difficult choices.
Frank