monitor upgrade

Started by moray, December 30, 2008, 12:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moray

Looking for help here.   What's the best choice between a 24" monitor (specifically the HP W2408, around $480) and a HDTV that's comparable in price, but larger, say somewhere in the 30"-42" size?  It would be mostly for 3D modelling, not for TV or movies.  I am confused about the resolutions.  I want to know if the HDTV would show the 1900 x 1200 (or whatever it is) resolution.

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.

freelancah

I recently purchased a 24" display with S-IPS panel and it has 100% AdobeRGB colour space. I can say no major complaints about it. You can read a review here: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-hp-lp2475w.html
I dont know if it fits into your price range since I can only guess where you live. HP seems to have quite different prices depending on what part of the globe you live in..

moray

thanks freelancah...I am in US.  I have no qualms about the 24" HP.  I just didn't know if I could do 'better' by buying an HDTV with a larger screen size and still be able to achieve the 1920 x 1200 resolution.

freelancah

Ah. Well as long as the tv has "full hd" marking it should be able to achieve 1920x1080 resolution but as far as I know they dont have tvs with 1920x1200. Tho I wouldn't advice using a tv as a computer screen for graphics because it's not really designed for that purpose. The colourspace and other features lack compared to that what normal computer screens have..

As for your HP w2408 I would advise you to go to a store and check it out. The  reflective glare panel might be something you might wanna consider. I tell you this because I checked that display when I was searching for a new display and the reflective surface was just a bit too much

matrix2003

Good article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Includes a graphic that compares all wide/HD sizes for comparison.

Bill.
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

efflux

I have an Eizo Flexscan S2410W. It's a 24.1 inch Widescreen. I don't think you can get this specific model anymore but I'd buy Eizo again for sure. Awesome picture quality. I initially bought an Apple monitor which I sent straight back. It was rubbish compared to the Eizo and was actually even faulty.