Strange Painted shader

Started by Kranky, December 31, 2008, 06:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kranky

Yesterday I tried to use a painted shader for blending a texture. I start painting, stopped it, used the painted shader as blending shader and rendered. But the texture was blended in stripes on the terrain. Then I started the painted shader again for correct and optimize it, but that wasn't my painting!? Everything was stretched - so I tried again, but with the same result.
Today I created a new painted shader for testing - with the same effect.

paint1.jpg is my painted shader.
paint2.jpg is the painted shader after stopping and starting again (without doing anything else between).

old_blaggard

Could you share a .tgd? My first guess is that the painted shader is applying displacement to the terrain.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Kranky

(TGD attached...)

PG

Actually I would presume that you've started painting without pausing the preview. Best thing to do is delete that painted shader, let the preview render to 100%, pause it and then start painting and unpause it only when you're done. For a terrain like this I would use an absolute brush rather than view based.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Kranky

I pause the preview always when it's done to paint. And I also used an absolute brush and a view based with the same result.

Oshyan

Sorry for the late response. It looks like the paint strokes are simply being stretched when they're applied to the terrain shape. This will be affected by how you're applying the painted shader to your terrain. If you're using an Image Map Shader with the Painted Shader as input you should be able to use different projections. PlanY would probably create what you're seeing now, whereas Through Camera might provide more of the result you want. Something to play with at any rate.

- Oshyan

cyphyr

I've had almost exactly the same thing hapen to me. Plan Y projection got streatched and distorted. 3D projection seems to be more stable.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kranky

Yesterday I switched to 3D projection and this works fine! :)