Beginner level cloud tutorial

Started by FrankB, January 02, 2009, 03:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi there!

I thought I'd let you know that I have written a quick cloud tutorial for beginners and published it on my site.
If anyone is interested, here it is: http://nwda.webnode.com/news/terragen-2-atmosphere-clouds-tutorial-in-3-steps/
Next to creating and explaining a few basics around cloud layers and density fractals, we also cover influencing the shape of clouds, coverage gamma and a few other things.

(If you're already familiar with making normal cumulus clouds in Terragen 2, you won't be excited - it's really for beginners).

Regards,
Frank

old_blaggard

Nice post :). Actually a related question (clouds are not my strong point): what difference is there in lowering the cloud coverage in the cloud node to lowering it in the density fractal?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

AmericanXer0

Thanks for the tutorial! On the site, however, no images are displayed. For example, the end of step 1 reads this: "Your 3D preview should now show something like this: [image]." Is there a reason it is showing [image], instead of an actual image?

FrankB

Quote from: AmericanXer0 on January 02, 2009, 04:00:26 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! On the site, however, no images are displayed. For example, the end of step 1 reads this: "Your 3D preview should now show something like this: [image]." Is there a reason it is showing [image], instead of an actual image?

Thanks for the pointer. I initially planned to provide a few screenshots, but don't have the time for that at the moment (I also don't think it's really necessary). I may do that on another day.

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 02, 2009, 03:57:36 PM
Nice post :). Actually a related question (clouds are not my strong point): what difference is there in lowering the cloud coverage in the cloud node to lowering it in the density fractal?

I'm not sure what the difference is. I think I recall - but I'm not 100% certain - that reducing or increasing coverage in the fractal avoids a certain issue. That could be totally rubbish, but that's what I think I read somewhere.

FrankB

by the way... do you ask about the cloud layer's "coverage adjust" or "coverage gamma"? My response was related to coverage adjust.
For coverage gamma, there are clear differences between that and the coverage in the density fractal.

Regards,
Frank

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 02, 2009, 03:57:36 PM

FrankB

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hetzen

I've been playing around on and off with clouds for a while now, and there were a couple of things which you've managed to clarify for me.

Thank you.

Just a small nitpick in bold from the following line...

"2 Open the cloud density fractal dialog, go to the density tab and increase the "Coverage Adjust" value from 0 to ~0.1"

old_blaggard

Thanks for digging that up, Frank :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

FrankB

Quote from: Hetzen on January 02, 2009, 08:10:15 PM
I've been playing around on and off with clouds for a while now, and there were a couple of things which you've managed to clarify for me.

Thank you.

Just a small nitpick in bold from the following line...

"2 Open the cloud density fractal dialog, go to the density tab and increase the "Coverage Adjust" value from 0 to ~0.1"

You're welcome :-)
What's wrong with the line you cited?

Thanks,
Frank

Hetzen

You missed the bold bit out in that line, which I missed out in explaining.  :)

I know it's obvious when you first jump in to that tab, because "coverage adjust" is the only value originally set at 0. I just mention it, because I sometimes like to read these sorts of things away from the program to get an over view on the overall process, which you've set up really well.

Do you guys ever use the "warp shader" much with clouds?

FrankB

Quote from: Hetzen on January 03, 2009, 09:59:39 AM
You missed the bold bit out in that line, which I missed out in explaining.  :)

I know it's obvious when you first jump in to that tab, because "coverage adjust" is the only value originally set at 0. I just mention it, because I sometimes like to read these sorts of things away from the program to get an over view on the overall process, which you've set up really well.

Do you guys ever use the "warp shader" much with clouds?

Oh now, I understand :-)

And yes, the warp shader is used from time to time, depending on the cloud type you'll want. The warp shader is great for small scale wispiness, for example.

Cheers,
Frank

Hetzen

OK, so do you ever use it to try and get a "cauliflower" cumulus effect? Or do you normaly rely on dialing in settings within the Density Fractal?

Cheers

Jon

FrankB

A carefully tweaked density fractal is the main key for the cauliflower look, but you can employ the warp shader to help with that. I mostly use the warp shader plugged into a redirect shader for adding whispy strands to bigger cloud features.

Frank