HMS Victory

Started by JimB, January 02, 2009, 09:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

I really love these old ships. A teeny bit of Photoshop work added to give it a touch of a hazy feel.

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

Perfect...except (and I'm not sure how you did this anyway) the left lower quadrant looks less liquified than the rest.  Maybe a combination of fractals and lesser transparency.  If I actually knew how to do this, I'd be better help.

Anyway, I love the lighting and the whole deal.  Nice.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

you've framed the ship very nicely in this pretty cool scene :-)
I like the sky, too. It fits very well. The warp on the distant clouds is a little too strong, though, but that's nit picking.

Cheers,
Frank

Tangled-Universe

Great work!

First I thought the haze was also native TG, but it seems to be PS. As long as it is this minor amount of postwork I'm fine with it.
I love the work on the water and whitecaps.
Atmo and lighting is good as well.

The bottom left part looks just fine.
Calico doesn't miss transparency (cuz it's hardly visible) but the features are just less steep and therefore look a bit different, so it could indeed be a fractal "issue".

I was thinking it might be a nice idea to add a fractal to the woodtextures to make it look more worn/damaged. I think that will greatly improve the realism of this render.

What where the rendersettings and time by the way? It's very crisp and clear. Must have been taken quite some hours?

Martin

JimB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2009, 05:50:53 AM
I was thinking it might be a nice idea to add a fractal to the woodtextures to make it look more worn/damaged. I think that will greatly improve the realism of this render.

What where the rendersettings and time by the way? It's very crisp and clear. Must have been taken quite some hours?

I did plug in a bump map to drive displacement on the Constitution image, but render times either shot the roof, or the render hung. A tiny bit of displacement would be good though, I agree. Settings were 2048 pixels wide, GI at 2 and 3, quality 0.6, and render times are averaging between 5 and 8 hours on a Quad Core (3 GHz), and 4 to 6 on a Dual Quad (2.8 GHz).

Here are a couple more, the first with a different atmosphere and lighting more reminiscent of an old maritime painting, and the second is the same basic setup as the first post but with another ship added in the distance:
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

JimB

Some bits and bobs

JimB

Some bits and bobs

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Holy sh*t, those look amazing! Especailly "14c". Brilliant!

You said rendersettings were GI 2 and 3 and then detail is 6??? I hope you mean 0.6? Otherwise I'd love to know what kind of quadcore you have :D

Awesome pictures!

Martin

JimB

Some bits and bobs

rcallicotte

The last two are beautiful.  Excellent lighting.  Are you doing all of your lighting in TG2?  Any clues to your secret of lighting these?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JimB

Quote from: calico on January 03, 2009, 08:45:38 AM
The last two are beautiful.  Excellent lighting.  Are you doing all of your lighting in TG2?  Any clues to your secret of lighting these?

Calico, it's all bog standard lighting; single sun and GI at 2,3. 14c has the surface enviro lighting bumped up to 1.5. The atmospheric haze is fairly dense and dark on them all, though.
Some bits and bobs

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: JimB on January 03, 2009, 08:39:15 AM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 03, 2009, 08:31:04 AM
and then detail is 6???

Oops. Corrected  ;)

Still, the result is amazing with this quality setting. I think I'm underestimating it too often that you can achieve good results at this "relative" low quality setting.
Certainly for time-efficiency the result is very good, hence the rendertime - under 8 hours!

Inscrutable

These are fantastic, though my preference would have been for a frigate in "the chase" rather than HMS Victory which was a 1st Rate ship of the line and wasn't really involved in that sort of action (sorry, I'm a little bit of a nautical geek!)

Inscrutable

freelancah